Working with dimensioned wood

Since I find it asinine to cut 28 linear feet of plywood in straight lines with a 6mm bit, I resolved to find a way to do what I wanted. Thuis is what I’ve come up with, based on examples in this forum.

The first image shows a wooden bump stop which I’ve attached to my Y-slides on both sides. I am intending to put one on the X-slide as well, since these work so well. In practice, I manually bring the carriage to its home position in the lower left corner of the table before I turn power on to the stepper motors. This seems to ensure that the machine is set to (0,0) in the same place relative to the wasteboard everytime I fire it up.

The 2nd image is a fence that I machined out of cheap plywood which establishes X and Y stops for my dimensioned stock which are relative to the (0,0) point. Since I am using a 6mm bit for the project I’m working on now, I jogged the machine +3mm in the X and Y directions before I machined the fence faces.

I’m finding that this setup is working extremely well and with great accuracy, despite the somewhat low-tech nature of the implementation.

1 Like

Nice! thanks for sharing that.

yeah this will be too difficult and if its been done already show and share your settings.

Which bits do you think will be too difficult Gerry?

I think the antennas certainly are probably a no-no, anything else?