Inventables Community Forum

Wrong depth using Z-probe

I have been using the Z-probe for a long time without problems. Today, I was running a project that I have ran about 15 times and the first cut went down approximately 1.5 mm when the depth setting is at 0.2mm. I restarted, checking to make sure the disk stayed flat on the corner of the wood, same problem. If I set it manually, it runs fine.

I’m not sure if this helps but I had the same issue a few months back, turns out I was forgetting to setup my home in mach3, probably not the issue your having but worth a mention

What software are you using to create toolpaths?
If is is Vectric do you have Z set for the surface of the wasteboard?

I’m using Easel. I found the problem. No matter what I set the depth at, Easel sets the automatic carve setting depth per pass to 1.3mm. I’ve never had this problem before. The setting shouldn’t be more than the cut depth of the project. Is there any way to change it? I’d hate to have to go through all my projects and set the depth manually. 1.3mm is way to deep for a standard cut depth.

The depth per pass should not over-ride the depth setting.
You can choose manual setting and make it what you want. However I think you may have another issue.

1 Like

Thought I had it solved, but I was wrong. Every time I start the X-carve, the first two carves are at the wrong depth. All subsequent carves are correct. I’m at a loss.