X-Carve 2.0 build feedback

@JanVanderlinden I believe it’s a home made relay box he fabricated.
@CharlesDavidRandolph can confirm if it is home made.
However, a lot of people are using this IOT relay.

2 Likes

Made it myself. Making my own Relay box - #9 by Andy4us

1 Like

I received my XCarve 2 on Friday and assembled the mechanical bits on Saturday (about 4 hours) and the sideboard and wiring on Sunday morning (about 3 hours). I have to say, on the whole everything about the assembly experience was fantastic. Well labeled parts, well documented instructions. Thank you!

I would concur with the above recommendations around the sideboard screws and the controller instructions. I felt that the instructions for the entire mechanical build had a lot of detail to be sure the right part went into the right place, but the sideboard and wiring instructions left some items be assumed. I would suggest the Inventables team go back through that section and double check it with someone who has not built a machine before. Thats my two cents.

With that said, fantastic build! fantastic machine! By 11 am on Sunday I was cutting my first project and machine is operational. wow! I can not wait to see what this machine can do. :smile:

3 Likes

Bit of an update on the sideboard. Contacted Inventables about the wrong screw configuration and they shipped out another sideboard. This time the screw holes where still wrong. Countersunk on the wrong side but the holes where in the correct placing. So I ended up being offered waiting for a new shipment to arrive or a store credit and drill out the holes in the first sideboard. I gave it a try and it all went well.

I have taken some photos of where the x-controller should sit on the sideboard in the hopes that it helps someone else know where it should sit. I used the second board as a template over the first one however you can use the x-controller as a template. The hole for the insert is 6MM and the drill bit for countersinking the hole is 9mm

Rcv’d the 750mm on Thursday after work, stayed up til 1:30am getting all the mechanical stuff completed, “worked from home” today to get the electronics done, first carves completed before lunch!

My build went extremely smooth, considering there weren’t any directions shipped. So after extending the WiFi to the garage, the build commenced… I had the same issues with some of the M8s not being long enough but I had some 10’s with flat washers that worked perfect. I may have overlooked it multiple times, but was there actually a step for mounting the power supply to the chassis after you set the voltage? It obviously needs to be done, and there are 4 button heads for it, but I kept assuming I would mount it later… Until it was time to close up the X-Con…

I was back and forth on the side board, but now that its installed, I kinda dig it… Stashing the cabling under it keeps the wiring a LITTLE cleaner, and I’m mounting a power strip and the IOT relay on the back half. Plus, the wife thinks the “OH SH*T” button right out front makes it look dangerous… Which I also kinda dig…

Odd. In the upgrade instructions it is just after mounting the bottom PCB to the Power Supply. Would have though these would be the same. They may have deleted it by accident. May pay to send them an email to let them know.

Hi Bret, Thank you for your feedback and posting to the forum. You are supposed to in fact use M5 x 10mm not M5 x 8mm to assemble the side board rails and we had it wrong in our instructions. We have corrected that information. If you incurred any additional expenses due to the mistake please let us know and we can refund you. We are also in the process of adding better instructions for attaching the X-Controller to the side board. If you ever have any issues with defective products out of the box (like damaged MakerSlide rails) please contact our support team and we will replace the items free of charge. Thank you for your support.