X-carve accessory mount

Fun stuff ! Thanks for sharing…

1 Like

Watching it right now!! so frickin’ cool

1 Like

If you sharpen then other side you can probably probe through the penfile

1 Like

Hi Phil, I made a similar mounting system from 5mm cast acrylic but I wasn’t thinking quite as creatively as you were. My bracket/mounting plate holds calibration tools but I’m off to find a decent pencil now!

3 Likes

@PhilJohnson

1 Like

You’re welcome, I was just taping a sharpie to my spindle mount last week to get an idea if the route I was about to execute would work. This adapter you are designing will get a ton of use in my shop! Thanks Phil!

1 Like

Nice work. I spent some time on this last month and came up with an addition that really helps when holding generic objects like Pens. My mount has about 6in of very high quality draw slide. I limit the travel to about 1/4 inch, and spring load it. This gives the pencil/marker even adjustable pressure over a project thats not perfectly flat. Before the draw slide i could only do small sections and some times tore the work piece, or hovered over it. Lately i have been doing white board drawings near the 32x32. Great for kids, to play with. fast to make, no stress, dust, or noise. I don’t even clap the white board any more.

1 Like

I would like to see that Miles, sounds like a great idea

my Sharpie holder made of 3/4 starboard

SVG file.

3 Likes

Really cool! I was thinking that maybe a cup end cap over the pencil that bottoms out on the top support can be used with a rubber band, so that it provides down pressure, but won’t push the pencil down past a given point.

1 Like

The reason I was thinking of the top cup that bottomed out on the support was that unlike just a rubber band the cup would case the down pressure to only go so far so it wouldn’t make the pencil slip lower than you want. But it’s a minor modification to a nice idea.

Something you may want to check out is a calligraphy gcode generator - maybe you’ll do a fountain pen attachment.

1 Like

Looks like the weekend started :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Phil, out of subject but you may want to watch this.
It is completely different aluminum cutting strategy. Check the pocketing. Making hole with 5 ipm speed full depth first, then start using bit’s side blades for enlarging the pocket with 50ipm. That’s interesting.

3 Likes

Great work Phil! You inspired me to give it a try. In the Halloween spirit, i made a Frankenstein-ian “low-tech” version of your mount using the very clamps provided by Inventables… I am pleasantly pleased with the result. :slight_smile:

I didn’t have any elastics handy so i used zip ties… but she works. :smile:

5 Likes

By the way… just found a refillable Sharpie pen on Amazon… woot! Could basically just mount that and refill as needed…

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Stainless-1800702-Refills-1800730/dp/B00MCZXASA

1 Like

That’s the real deal! Great work as always…

1 Like

Just in case anyone is interested in playing with this, there are markers available that come empty that you can put whatever dye you want in for a custom color. I found out about them through my woodturning group, but they might be interesting as a custom pen in the tool holder Phil designed. Here’s a link

2 Likes

Excellent - great out of the box thinking. the rubberband @ the top of the pencil was a good idea. i would have used a pen, but there may have been a reason or reasons for using a pencil. still - great “carve”. and very good presentation. keep up the good work.

Russ from Coral Springs, Fl usa

Nice going
Can’t wait to start making more stuff. !

1 Like

Looks like there will be a marker shortage in Wisconsin soon… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like