X-Carve Easel setup not working on Window7 64bit mode?

I cannot setup my X-carve with EASEL and have tried a number of things to see if I can get it to work…

I am sure the UNO is working, I have run blink it works.
I have cleared the eeprom.
Run Xloader.
PC is windows 7 in 64 bit mode.
Use Chrome as the browser
Have anti virus software turned off.

I have reflash the UNO a number of times… Cleared the EEPROM, I can run blink on the Arduino and the uno works… I am not able to run the GRBL controller 3.4.6 after flashing with xloader, but it seems to uploaded… and no problems I am using version 9 of the Hex file… Should this work with GRBL controller version 3.4.6. When I connect to the x-carve with the web and start Easel and enter the comport nothing happens other than the spinning…

Any suggestions?

Run Blink it works

Cleared the EEPROM

Are you doing this, some lines must be changed on eeprom_clear;

Open the Arduino IDE

Go to File - Examples - EEPROM - eeprom_clearClick it,

Find this line,

for ( int i = 0 ; i < EEPROM.length() ; i++ )

MUST BE CHANGED TO

for ( int i = 0 ; i < 1024; i++ )

After upload finish, close Arduino IDE, open XLoader , Make sure all your settings are correctDevice = Uno(ATmega328)Baud rate 115200Load HEX file

Close XLoader and start Easel, run machine setup
Are you doing this, some lines must be changed on eeprom_clear;

Open the Arduino IDE

Go to File - Examples - EEPROM - eeprom_clear
Click it,

Find this line,

for ( int i = 0 ; i < EEPROM.length() ; i++ )

MUST BE CHANGED TO

for ( int i = 0 ; i < 1024; i++ )

Loaded the hex file from this location

https://inventables.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/2069033-grbl

After upload finish, close Arduino IDE, open XLoader , Make sure all your settings are correct
Device = Uno(ATmega328)
Baud rate 115200
Load HEX file

Close XLoader and start Easel, run machine setup

Run Easel selected com18 which the UNO is on nothing happens…

Update — I had a chance to call Inevitables and got some phone support we tried a number of times to flash the GRBL code to the arduino ( with the shield not attached) -Xloader reports no problems with the load, the UNO is working but nothing sent to the UNO is working since we tried with the Universal G code sender and tried to jog the xcarve no movement… so I loaded this version of g-code sender (see link below), my prior system I used GRBL controller it worked until I flashed the new version and was trying to get EASEL setup… I was not able to get anything to jog… So I still think is ti something to do with the hex file… maybe a slight chance it is the UNO… but it runs all the UNO examples from the Arduino IDE

I believe I am using the correct driver in windows 7 (because the Arduino IDE works) and will try now to delete unused comm ports as mention in the help… In the meantime I am getting a another Arduino shipped already flashed…

@GreggLind

When I used the grbl .hex file on the Inventables web site it would not work for me.

I downloaded the grbl 0.9j source, compiled it, loaded it into the Arduino and it worked.

You might try that.

I’ve never had to mess with the EEPROM settings on a single Arduino I’ve flashed for grbl, and I’ve done quite a few. If you’re not getting any errors from Xloader when the flash process is complete, then that’s probably going OK as well.

Just for giggles, try this hex file: grbl.hex (78.5 KB)

That’s the one I’ve been using for months with no issues whatsoever.

Also… COM18? That’s an unusually high number, and unless you have a giant pile of serial devices that you connect to your computer, you might want to look into deleting some (or all) of your COM ports from the Device Manager and then plugging the Arduino in again. You should be seeing it on like COM3 or COM4, unless you actually do have a giant pile of serial devices for some reason.

(edited to add) - Here’s a web page with some very comprehensive instructions on removing unwanted/unused COM ports: Finding & Removing Hidden COM Ports – rttycontesting.com

We have introduced auto port detection. Anyone who wants to try it can download it here:

1 Like