@JamesE I’m in Perth (but I’m from SA) and had no problems at all (apart from the long wait) in ordering from Inventables.
I got one of the original spindles that turned out to be faulty and when I contacted Inventables, they sent me two (just so I wouldn’t be inconvenienced if the replacement was also faulty. Whilst shipping may be slow, Inventables are absolutely the best with regards to their customer service. I unreservedly recommend them to everyone.
I replaced the original spindle with a the Aussie version of the DeWalt router http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/productdetails/catno/D26204K/ which fits in the mount sold by Inventables.
Whatever you do, don’t order the washboard from Inventables - the shipping costs are horrendous. This is something that’s easily made yourself.
As a bench, I bought a 1200x1200 bar table from Ikea - it’s higher than a normal table and is perfect for the XCarve. I screwed the XCarve to the table, added some T Slot rails and then filled the spaces with MDF. I bought a box of T Bolts & knobs from Carba Tec (has probably 75 different sizes for about $40) and some aluminium clamps. Some heavy-duty lockable castors from Bunnings on each leg makes it moveable.
In between the T Slot rails, I’ve added threaded inserts which are the same size as the T Slot bolts - this way, if I need to use the hole instead of the slot, I just turn the bolt 180 degrees and I’m good to go. I can pretty much bolt anything anywhere on the table. When clamping is no good, double-sided mounting tape from Bunnings does the trick.
The electronics are in a box from Jaycar which along with the power supply, is screwed to the front of the bench/table. Some images below.
The plastic dust shields are polycarbonate hollow cell sheeting from Bunnings. I glued some aluminium channel along the bottom for stiffness and then glued a small rare-earth magnet inside one of the cells at each end. The resulting shields are lightweight, the clip in and out with the magnets and keep the dust to a minimum.
The dust boot is cut from 12mm ply, one piece is mounted to the bottom of the router, the other piece has a skirt made from rubber sheeting from Clark Rubber. The skirt is held on to the bottom piece of ply with a hose clamp, and the two halves clip together with pairs of rare earth magnets glued into holes in the ply. One pair of magnets are ‘proud’ from their holes, the others are a couple of mm below the surface, this makes a nice positive pair pf locating pins.
If you get stuck, let me know.