X-Carve in New Zealand

I certainly wouldn’t order a base board, MDF has to be a lot cheaper locally and it’s not that hard to make.
For a router/trimmer, the Makita RT0701 is hard to beat. Should be available in NZ, if not then Aus.
The larger mount from Inventables will work with the Makita but does need a sleeve to make up the difference in diameter (68mm - 65mm). Alternatively, there’s this one from 3dtek. I have one of these and it’s great. Does need a Shapeko style mounting plate.

Hi Leigh,

Where are you located?

Another vote for the Makita RT0700C (or RT0701).

I got the waste board shipped because I wasn’t able to make it as nice, but if you have the means to make it then that would be cheaper. The X-Controller works fine here in NZ and I got the relay from Inventables because it was about the same cost as JayCar and I already had a gift card.

Im in auckland, Work in takapuna but live in warkworth. what do you mean by “make it as nice”? I have acess to a table saw and laser cutter to put the grid on the top but i wouldn’t know where to place it. I LOVE makita so im glad that you said that haah!! thanks for your help!!

1 Like

I live close to the Glenfield mall, so if you’d like to see my setup you are welcome to come see it.

I don’t have a table saw or other large shop tools so I wasn’t confident that I be able to achieve a waste board as nice as the Inventables one for near the same price, so I ordered it. Since you do have access to the laser and table saw and are keen to get the Makita router, you should be able to make a pretty good wasteboard.

If the laser cutter is big enough you can engrave the grid and the outline of the board so that when it comes time to cut the board to size you’ll already have the lines to cut on and the grid will be aligned. In the end though you don’t really even need the grid, but it is nice to have.

Kia ora Kiwi x-carvers,

I live in Hokianga, Northland and have recently received my 500 x 500 x-carve and am half way through putting it together. I had previously purchased a Kress 1050 mill from amazon uk, so I didn’t order any spindle and mount, after checking different mounting systems for the Kress, which I was confident I will be able to make up.
I am now wondering whether I will have everything I need.

Kia ora John,

Did you get a mounting plate instead of the spindle mount?

Thanks for your reply sketch42.
No I didn’t. But from what I have read, I knew that I would need to make my own mounting plate and I am planning on fabricating a temporary plywood mount before eventually making an aluminium plate once I am up and running.
I am unsure about how the mounting plate fits onto the x-carriage - I can see that I will have to drill the holes on the mounting plate to fit, but there appears to be bearings attached to the underside of the mounting plates for the other spindles.

Correct, you will need spacers, v-wheels, and screws. The Delin nut will also attach to the back of this piece.

If you are ever down in Auckland, you could stop by and have a look at my machine if you’d like. I might even be able to help with the mounting plate…

Thank you for the invitation and I may just do that at some stage.
Have you mounted a Kress on your x-carve?
Do you know if there are any guides about fabricating a mounting plate with the spacers and v-wheels, etc?

I have a Makita mounted myself, but this video might provide a few answers:

KressMount _V2.0.pdf (18.5 KB)

Added @EddieHall to the top of the thread… anyone else need to be added?

You can add me to the list. I’m in West Auckland :slight_smile:

Done deal

I am in Palmerston North does anybody live any were near ? would like to meet up

@GeoffEvans What benefits does a client code offer me if I import one of these machines to NZ?

Not so much a benefit but a requirement for any thing over $1000.

If you don’t register before hand and it is over $1000 then your package will sit in a dry dock till you have done so as well as pay taxes. If you do register before your package hits customs then all you do is quote a number to the shipment company pay your taxes all of which will takes very little time.

Just comes down to how willing you are for you package to be sitting in a warehouse as it takes a few days to process the new client code request.

Cool - thanks for that. Thinking of hitting the “buy-now” on that new 750mm x-carve.

if you want, get a few extra MakerSlide End Plates and some t-nuts and some M5x8mm button head cap screws

they work like a charm for stiffening the Y-rails

Do you mean these Jeremy? https://www.inventables.com/technologies/makerslide-end-plate. Then double it up on the ends of the Y-rails?