X-Carve in New Zealand

those are the ones, but what I meant was to put them in the middle of the rails to stop them from flexing at the mid point

I have 2 extra per rail on my 1000mm X-Carve

Hi there, i have just finished the assembly process of my x-carve and my dewalt spindle has a european plug on it which has a circuit breaker in it, do you know if i can simply replace this with a standard New Zealand plug or adapter or will i need to get one of these special plugs with the circuit breaker/fuse in them. Thanks!

You will need to check the label on the router.

Can you post what the sticker says. There should be a line on it that will say something like 110v-240v 50-60hz

I definately ordered the 240V version but inventables sent it to me with a european plug, i sort of thought since the same model is sold in NZ the may send one of those. When i asked inventables help service they said that they didn’t think it would be a problem to change the plug but weren’t sure when i discussed the fuse in it you can see in the photos …

basically i’m asking if i need a special plug or whether the standard one would work, thanks for your help!

Yep that one will work fine. Either you can take some cutters to it and put your own plug on it.
You could use a plug adapter although I wouldn’t as I have found most of these to be loose.

It looks like it only has phase wires so you don’t need to worry about a earthed plug as it should be double insulated(although there is no symbol on the label as per usual. A box within a box) and if so likely won’t include a earth wire.

Also don’t worry about the fuse. More likely to be a liability as the sockets in houses are only rated to 10A so your wall plug will go before the fuse does.

Awesome, Thanks for your help!

Yep, like the others said, you should be able to replace the plug with a New Zealand one. If you are thinking of doing that though, you might want to put on a “pigtail” and then when taking it out of the mount you can just unplug it right there.

Hi. I recently got a 750mm X-Carve and was wondering where people tend to buy their router bits from? I’ve been using a pretty stock 2 flute upcut (https://www.inventables.com/technologies/high-speed-steel-2-flute-upcut-spiral) so far but been struggling to find local suppliers of them (at a price that matches my amateur status).

Most of my bits come from Inventables. I have bought a few end mills from the router bit section of Bunnings, but I haven’t found a lot of places local that sell end mills for a good price.

If you don’t mind ordering over seas, with a YouShop account at NZ Post you can get stuff shipped pretty easily… esp. Drillman1’s stuff. http://www.ebay.com/usr/drillman1

There is also always the option of ordering on AliExpress, but I would stick to Solid Carbide bits from AliExpress and not the HSS ones. From what I’ve seen and heard from others, the carbide ones tent to have a better quality per price point.

Thanks for that. I’ve had some HSS bits from Aliexpress so might have another look at the carbide ones.
Appreciate the response.

Have you tried these? http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/power-tools/routers/auction-1273000534.htm

I haven’t tried them, but they look really similar to the packet that Inventables sells and I use those all the time. Looks like a good buy.

BTW… have you received your machine yet?

Hardware arrived. X-controller on its way. Can’t wait :blush:

1 Like

Feel free to swing around and help with the mechanical calibration @sketch42. Might give you some Purple Heart boards to play with :blush:

1 Like

Sure, I can come by. PM me when a good time is and we can work it out.

Thanks to sketch42. Wish I was in NZ, as I’d love to connect up.

1 Like

Thanks for that suggestion. Got me pointed in the right direction. Going to try a range of bits from different places and see what works for me.
On a related note, do we have any local suppliers of materials suitable for CNC routing similar to what Inventables offer in their shop? (all that wood, acrylic, foam etc).

2 Likes