X carve keeps digging

My x carve works good. It is able to move well on the X and Y axis. My issue is that the Z axis seems to be off. It can move up and down, but after I click CARVE it just keeps going down and it goes deeper.

I have it set on 0.075 for letter “A”, so it should not be that deep. Right? The machine would keep plunging until it goes through. I am struggling to understand how to fix that. Anyone experience this?

• If you command a 1" jog up or down on Z, is the actual travel also 1"?
  • If one of the Z-stepper 4 wires have no/intermittent contact stepper will operate as normal but directional control is lost.
  • Where do you zero Z off of?
  • Do you use the probe?
  • Do you use Easel as your design program or is it another?
1 Like

@AmberZion It sounds like you need to calibrate your z axis and change the setting in GRBL. Here is a video to show you how to do it. How to Calibrate the XCarve: Stepper Calibration - YouTube

Check to be sure you have the right settings and be sure you have selected the right acme screw when you set up your machine.

• If you command a 1" jog up or down on Z, is the actual travel also 1"?
    Yes

• If one of the Z-stepper 4 wires have no/intermittent contact stepper will operate as normal but directional control is lost.
    What do you mean? I checked all wires, and they looks good.

• Where do you zero Z off of?
    I followed the steps using probe.

• Do you use the probe?
    Yes

• Do you use Easel as your design program or is it another?
    Yes

It apparently that the shape works just fine, so I copied the same setting for text, but it is off. With text, it just carve deeper. Unlike the circle shape.

Look at the photos.

I have acme rod, and it works fine.

It looks like you are loosing Z-position, the most common culprits are:

• Check and double check your belt pulleys in Z, one or both may be slipping a little.
  • Check your $112 and $122 values, they might be too aggressive, causing the Z to stall and loose steps during plunge/retract motion.

Have you checked them with a DVM for continuity?
If one of the four wires dont have contact with the stepper driver it may plunge instead of retract, and vice versa. This may cause your Z to drop as it carve.

1 Like