X-carve keeps stopping mid carve

Hi, I’m basically a newbie, but I do have a few months experience with a Piranha. Here’s my question which is beyond my scope!:

I recently acquired an xcarve with the upgraded controller. I don’t have wifi in my shop so I was helped along to figure out how to use the xcarve with vcarve desktop and UGS.

I have all this seemingly correct and have been able to run gcode a couple times without a cutter successfully (and once with a cutter 99% successfully) but usually it just stalls out mid operation. sometimes after a couple seconds, sometimes after a couple minutes. Seemingly just at some random point in the code. I attached a screen grab of where it stopped one time.

I have to close out twice to start over. the first time I close out i get a warning message (see pic):

Port name - COM3; Method name - setEventsMask(); Exception type - Can’t set mask.

anyone have any idea what’s going on? thanks in advance,
Tim

Thanks. I have but everything I see is a little different scenario than mine. hoping to stumble on someone with the same setup. One thing that I suspected and some of the threads lead me to believe is to try a new USB cable. Romorrow I will!

Are you on a windows machine?
I use a usb cable that has the ferite beads on each end.

1 Like

Yes, and I solved it. USB cable has to be PERFECT! I went through three and with the fourth one it has been working like a charm. thanks!

Hi @TimSway
can I ask what usb cable you bought?
I’m having the same issue

I really don’t remember, I just bought the best one at the store. I got rid of the machine years ago and upgraded. Good luck!

Regarding your USB cable you just need to make sure to have a proper shielded, high quality one. If that doesn’t do the trick, have a look here. I summarized my experience with dropping there.

If your still having problems, please try this simple fix. My 3018 Pro was randomly stopping during carves as well, I found out that the constant vibrations while carving were slowly wiggling the usb connector out of the control board. Moved the control board off the actual frame (its on a side table next to the cnc for now) where there are zero vibrations and havent had any issues yet! Getting a new usb cable cant hurt, or a powered usb hub (i bought this when I first started having issues: Atolla USB Hub with 4 USB 3.0 Data Ports and 1 USB Smart Charging Port, USB Splitter with Individual Power Switches and 5V/3A Power Adapter*) but neither one was really necessary if a loose usb connection is your problem. Good Luck! Hope you find a solution soon!