X-Carve mod pack 1

@GeoffSteer if at some point I decide to build another one from scratch, I will try the Gecko/LinuxCNC way and will be probably sending inquiries your way regarding config/hal files.

For the first one I decided to go plug-n-play on the controller (i.e. GRBL) cause the CNC learning curve is already steep enough (electronics, CAM, feeds/speeds, etc) for a new user.

@EliasPolitis You can go Gecko and still use grbl. Running the X-Carve via grbl with a Gecko G540 controller
I’ve put off testing this out as most of my free time at the moment is spent trying to get my 3d printer back in action - need that dust boot!

I get my stupidest good ideas when standing in the shower.

OOH! that just does’nt sound right.

But I have solved alot of things pertaining to computers, auto mechanics and various woodshop interests while soaking my head.

1 Like

@EliasPolitis What length flanged button head cap screws did you use?

The tap I used made ~25mm deep threads, so I picked M5x25mm screws.

Tip: the ISO 7380F screws have a tiny tapered shoulder between the head and the screw body, so in order to take advantage of the larger head you will need to countersink your plate holes by a hair.

There are some very good X-Carve upgrades posted by “Educating Savvas” on YouTube. His videos are worth viewing for any X-Carve user.

Ok great thank you for the info. Where did you order the M5x25mm screws from?

I’m in Europe, so I got a 20-pack from this german ebay store.

I was about to write that you should be able to find them on either side of the Atlantic, but a quick googling only shows german, british and dutch stores. In case you cannot find them closer to you and shipping is too much, an alternative could be to use “plain” button head cap screws and add your own flanges.

Not sure where you are located but in the U.S. i went to my local Ace hardware. In the fastener aisle they have a section of metric stuff.

Bonus:

The X-axis mod will leave you with two extra MakerSlides.

When life gives you slides, make a camera slider.

…single length

…or double.

http://www.buildlog.net/wiki/doku.php?id=ms:ms_slider

Yep, adding motion control is on the todo list. There will be an extra motor after I upgrade the X axis motor (mod pack 2).

I’m thinking of RPi + Protoneer CNC hat as a controller in order to drive it over WiFi with a phone/tablet.

i used a round file to expand the x- axis slots …took about 5 min per bracket

1 Like

You know, speaking as a guy in the US, where this thing is made and a bulk of them are sold, I really, REALLY wish that Inventables would have chosen Imperial fasteners. It’s a serious pain in the tail to get anything metric around here locally without special ordering, even stupid stuff like lock nuts are three times the price of SAE hardware, and only available in limited selection.

That is why I order everything.

Yeah, it’s just really obnoxious when you want to do something really simple, but can’t get a friggin’ socket head cap screw the right length without an Amazon order!

1 Like

@DanBrown
If it makes you feel any better, it is not common to find any ISO7380F’s or DIN6926’s or other specialized fasteners in stock in local hardware stores on this side of the Atlantic either. I always have trouble sourcing locally something that is too niche, too small or too big.

I do most of my hardware ordering online as well and sometimes shipping costs more than the part(s).

@ZacharyRowan
Nice!

I live in a small town in northern Minnesota where the air is cold and the ears are blue and anything slightly “outside the norm” for and old farmer is hard to find.

All I can say is Ace is the place of the metric hardware, man!

2 Likes

Agreed. Love my local (Portland, Oregon) Ace hardware for metric nuts & bolts.

Ace is the place - to pay 300% more per part! :wink:

I love Ace, but only in a pinch. I got some M3 and M5 bolts there for like 0.35 and 0.65 each. Something like 0.03 or 0.06 online.

There is something to be said for planning ahead… :grimacing: