X-Carve mod pack 1

When you only need 4 screws 0.65 isnt terrible. But if one needs them in quantity then it does get pricey.

Convenience matters too.
Say I am working on a thingy and I need a metric whatchamacallit. Ace is in town and has them at their 300% mark up. I can go there or I can wait X number of days for usps/ups to show up and by them I have lost the initiative or my train of thought on the subject.

Hello,

I have made the pulley screw upgrade, but some of you know what happend if they are over-tightened?

I mean, I noticed that from a couple of day the machine start to cut not at the center of the piece (MDF) even if I set the zero on the most south-west point.

The cuts are good, the motor seem to be more silent too (and in general I have less vibration of the machine), but that off-center cut is something totally new to me!

Any thoughts?

Alex

Replacing the pulley screws should be transparent with your setup.

If your machine is already tuned, a good way to do it, in order to be sure you are not messing up something, is to replace the screws one at a time (i.e. remove an old one, insert a new one new, remove the second old, insert the second new) .

As far as tightening goes, I cannot give a torque value (and even if I did, not many people have torque wrenches), but you cannot really overdo it with a 2.5 hex key by hand. When you feel resistance, give it an extra quarter turn and you should be fine. This is already a lot tighter than the old set screws.

If you believe something is wrong, there are three things that I can think of which are related with the pulleys and might give problems:

• uneven belt tension between Y1 and Y2
  • pulley and idlers are out of alignment
  • debris between belts and pulleys

Hello,

that is what I thought too.

To be more honest and clear, I did not made the stepper calibration because I was in a rush of use the machine and the tollerance for my needing was more than acceptable.

But now I assume (purely assume) that the screw make more ‘grip’ on (all) the motor shaft and the tollerance seem to be accentuated. Paradoxically that increased ‘grip’ have increased the tollerance too so at that point a stepper calibration is mandatory.

1 Like

Do you have a Home Depot nearby? That’s where I get all my metric hardware. Great selection, decent prices.

I do, and they have about three drawers of metric hardware. Not all that bad… except that there’s like 30 drawers or more of SAE, and generally more in the pack for the money.

http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com. This place has what you want. Shipping is awesome as well. I ordered from them and openbuilds.com at the same time. Theirs was at my house before open builds filled my order.

Sometimes we pay more attention to the machines and less to what we can do with them.

First inlay attempt. 5 bits, 2 sides, 8 operations. Not perfect, not bad either.

11 Likes

It kind of like a road trip in a car, it’s as much about the journey as it is the destination.
For some (like myself) tinkering ith the machine itself and the process of operating it, is as satisfying as the end result of a project.

Same here. It’s the best way to familiarize with your tools and understand their capabilities and limitations.

What I wrote above was mostly self-criticism :slight_smile:

1 Like

@DavidYerkes

Just wanted to point out for any new forum viewers, this post is mods for the old Xcarve. A lot of these mods have been integrated as part of the new Xcarve.

2 Likes

This is true for the following parts, which have been addressed in the late 2016 X-Carve upgrade (*)

• the extrusion end tapping
  • the X axis mod
  • the set screws
  • the eccentric spacers

Still relevant:

• flanged screws
  • flanged lock nuts
  • Y axis dust shields
  • router pigtail
  • motor connectors

Still relevant with new motors:

• GT3 belting

(*) I cannot help but think that this forum has helped Inventables identify some weaksnesses and shown upgrade directions. This is a great way for the community to show appreciation and offer back to make a favorite tool even better :slight_smile:

I have a new Xcarve on order. I’ve been reading a lot of info and would like to implement improvements right from the start. If I understand correctly, to address all of the upgrades in this post I just need the following?

• flanged screws
  • flanged lock nuts
  • Y axis dust shields
  • router pigtail
  • motor connectors
  • GT3 belting

Thank you!

Don’t forget the BLUE LOCTITE!

1 Like

I just re-read this but I think the GT3 belting can’t be done anymore without getting new steppers. The new Xcarve has fully integrated pulleys on the stepper and I don’t think they are removable.

1 Like

I don’t think you can do the GT3 belting because the stepper motor pulleys are not removable on the new X-carve.

Yep, it says in the assembly instructions that the pulley is ‘crimped’ to the shaft. That sucks!

Correct. As mentioned earlier:

However, there are some pretty good deals out there if you search a bit.

Wut?

That sucks!