X-Carve Pro and Blowing GFI Circuits

Yes all of my interior breakers have this. The one in my garage does not, however there is one outlet that is GFI. So even when I plug it into the other outlet in the garage that is not GFI it still trips the GFI outlet.

1 Like

The garage breaker is not a GFI, my interior ones are. Is it possible to upgrade my existing garage breaker to a 20amp? Is it something I can do or do you need an electrician to do it?

If it is tripping the GFI outlet in your garage, then it would stand to reason that the GFI outlet is located upstream of the plugs you’re utilizing. This is a common way that kitchen GFIs will be set up. If you have an outlet on hand, try swapping the GFI outlet to a standard outlet.

For your question on the 20A breaker, it is something that you can do yourself as they are really simple to swap. Just know that it may not technically be to code. 20A breakers are supposed to have 12 or 10 gauge wire while it is common that 15A breakers use 14 ga wire.

1 Like

If the wire is 14 ga changing the breaker to a 20 amp will also create a fire hazard as the breaker may not trip in an overload before the wire would overheat possibly causing a fire.

1 Like

My X-Carve Pro is located in my garage. I am concerned with having to run the X-Carve Pro on a non-GFI circuit. If I am reading the National Electrical Code correctly, all garage circuits are required to be protected by a GFCI. Is there a way to stay within code requirements and allow the X-Carve Pro to operate without tripping the breaker?

Realistically, you’ll need to consult an electrician if you want to stay within spec.

Might be better to wait until you get your machine, get it setup, then get the electrician there so he can figure out what’s going on / come up with a solution.

Just came upon this issue and thought I might weigh in.

Barring any internal hardware issues with the controller, speaking generally for electrical circuits

As other posters have noted, a GFCI is code in garages and in other potentially wet spaces, but modern homes are often wired with AFCI breakers and outlets. These look similar in a breaker panel and can often be confused for a GFCI breaker.

From personal experience, I ran into a similar problem when installing a higher end Sole treadmill. The motor frequency generated by the treadmill was enough to fool the AFCI into thinking there was an issue despite correct wiring (this was confirmed by an electrician). In my case the solution was to install a standard (non-AFCI, non-GFCI) dedicated 20 amp circuit onto the panel legs opposite the AFCI breakers.

Since this may not be practical for most individuals or violate code in your area, you may want try a higher end Tripp-Lite Isobar or similar power filter (not just a suppressor). These plug in like ordinary power strips and can filter out motor noise and potentially keep breakers from tripping. It might cost a bit to purchase such a filter, but it’s cheaper than an electrician.

When we later installed the exact same model in my fiancĂ©s mothers home, the Isobar did the trick and the AFCI’s didn’t trip (when they had before). I use a Furman with similar ratings for my XCarve in the garage on a GFCI with no issues.

Best of luck

Just built my unit and I’m having the same issues with GFCI outlets. It is 2021, machines must be able to operate in modern shops where GFCI outlets are required. Inventables it is now up to you to take corrective action and replace the control units with properly functioning ones

running an extension cord into another room is NOT a solution to a 10,000$ problem.

4 Likes

This is a great solution considering you should be protecting your controller from voltage spikes and noise and sags.

HI Andrew,
Any chance you could put a link to what you purchased? Would love to get the same thing knowing that it works. There are several different options out there, and not sure which is correct to get this “issue” resolved.

Scott

Hello, everyone.
I’m also having similar problems: new home gfi is tripping, I actually moved the controller to multiple places around the house, all with the same outcome immediate trip of the breakers at the wall. I spoke to a rep, and their solution was to install a breaker that does not have these protections. I don’t like the idea of removing a line of safety that has been set by a code, and possibly would void the warranty of the home. Has anyone found a better solution yet? Or have any further details on this? Thank you 

The thing that causes the gfci to trip is the vfd that powers the spindle, the vfd can be removed if you use a standard router instead of a spindle. But that probably is not the solution you were seeking

Old Post but, wire up a 20 amp Non-GFCI receptacle or two (or a circuit of 8 receptacles if you want) and don’t worry about it. No shop tool should run on a protected circuit. The only time a non-gfci circuit in a wet area such as a DRY Garage or Shop is gonna matter; is when you go to sell the house. So, you abandon/remove the circuit or turn it into a GFCI protected circuit and leave it for the new owner. Easy peasy. GFCI protected circuits are a fantastic safety device but, they’re basically designed to protect Harry Homeowner from himself during the use of a sink, shower etc.

You are regularly risking fingers and hands with shop equipment in a garage or shop and you are not doing it standing in a puddle of water. Correct?

Run the non-protected circuit/s and enjoy your passion. Sleep well at night. Dream of new projects.

1 Like

So is the new assumption that all XCP owners are electricians, or that they all have access to an electrician willing to violate NEC?

1 Like