Introduction to X-Carve

On the topic of 12 volt versus 24 volt asked by SHowa, I wouldn’t choose to run on 12 volt just because of having some 12 volt fans. Motor torque is much better on 24 volts - I tried 12 volts until I got a 24 volt supply, and the improvement on 24 volts was huge! I too am using 12 volt fans, it was a simple matter to put together a 7812 regulator and a few capacitors on a perfboard to drop the 24 volt supply to 12 volts for the fans. I’m using a 24 volt 8.5 amp switching power supply - lots more than I really need, but the incremental price difference was really small, and I like having ample capacity.

Hi, I would also like some info on below base carving and
would you recommend this machine for use with mostly aluminum stock and sheet?
What max. thickness? and the expected cutting speed?

Thanks

Would be nice if a company representative answered some questions!

Below base carving!
Really want an answer from manufacturer. I really see an advantage in being able to place machine on a surface you want to carve/engrave.
Q1 - Will the spindle/bit reach below the bottom of the baseboard as it is supplied. i.e if we remove the baseboard and place it on a surface we want to carve?
Q2 - will the unit need to be stiffened if we remove the baseboard?
Q3 - if we order without the baseboard, does it still come with the rails that are under the baseboard?
Q4 - Can the end plates be shortened, the cross rails raised (leaving room for the carriage to run unobstructed) without any issue?
Q5 - what is involved in reconfiguring it to a different size e.g. 1000 x 500mm. I know you can change/swap the rails, but what needs to happen on the software side?
Q6 - How practical would it be to set this up to make it easy to semi disassemble, pack and reassemble. (i.e remove carriages and pack compactly) I.e make a case for it, take it to site and reassemble to do a job. Making it really a portable machine? Would it need to be reconfigured each time, if so what is involved in that?

I am relatively inexperienced with CNC routers and need some help. I was a draftsman with a PENCIL 50 years ago while I went to school plus I have a utility patent and several ideas I want to pursue, and your X-Carve is perfect for me. I love what you are doing. However, I need a slightly larger machine on the Y axis, 1800mm (62" working length"?) to make my parts. The 31" (1000mm) X axis is fine.

Please quote the fully rigged Xcarve all the bells and whistles plus the additional items needed to extend the Y rails to 1500mm (wiring, drag chain, G2 belts, etc). I assume I need some mounts to eliminate flexing of the Y rails. I will supply the waste board. Add the tool kit and the digital calipers.

Also, I played with Easel and had some real problems. Is there a tutorial somewhere? Can I Beta test? What do I need to design and make a style of Jigsaw puzzle in 3/4" pine?

Thanks,
Bill Raines
314-255-6048

1 Like

Hi @william_bill_Raines Thanks for all your interest and excitement. That’s really cool that you are taking your experience as a draftsmen and testing out Easel and X-Carve.

For a quote or to help configure your machine please give us a call at 312-775-7009 or email help at inventables.com. The community forum is for community discussion and we don’t provide quotes have sales people monitoring it. We’re trying to create a place for folks to meet each other and talk shop so to speak.

Thanks!

Zach

1 Like

I am designing a enclosed cabinet for the 1000mm X-Carve that I have ordered. I need to know what minimum dimensions for the inside I need to follow. Zach earlier mentioned that the stepper motor kicks out 50mm and the drag chain about 100mm. Does the drag chain flare out further than 100mm when the machine is in use that I need to give more room for?

Ditto on Davids Post. It would also help to know the vertical height at it’s tallest. Thank you Inventables for checking, we need to work of the anxiety of waiting for the X Carve to ship!

To make it easier for future people to search I’m trying to start new threads for specific questions and answers. Here’s a thread for questions about the height.

Thanks for the reply regarding height for the 1000mm X-Carve, what would be the minimum inside width and depth of a enclosed cabinet have to be for it to have enough room to function?

Here is a link to the CAD file so you can get all the dimensions you need:

That only helps if you can work with the 3D file in a meaningful way. :wink: How about just a dimensioned plan, and, elevation view?

There are a bunch of free CAD tools you can open it with and create as many dimensioned views as you wish. FreeCAD, Fusion360, Sketchup are a few.

Not sure about the first two, but, I do know that Sketchup Make can’t open STP files. I just figured this would help people with some quick numbers.

@TonyNo

I created a basic dimension drawing. Add added it to GrabCAD as a PDF and DXF. I only did the 500mm version, but the 1000mm would scale proportionally.

BTW: Draftsight is my favorite free program to work with DXF files.

2 Likes

Hi @dondespain today @BartDring posted a PDF with the exact dimensions of the machine. It’s better than my measurements taken in the shop. Here’s a PDF to look at with the dimensions.

Do you have a actual store in Chicago where people can stop in and see the machine. I love weekend trips to Chicago and would plan one just to see a x-carve in person.

We don’t have a retail store. We have an office and a warehouse. We do have the machine in our maker lab but our hours are typically 9-5pm M-F.

If there is enough interest maybe we could put together an event?

Even just a open house day a couple of times though out the summer would be a neat idea… I don’t think anybody would expect you to just open the door anytime during normal business hours for people to stop by and interrupt your work day. If we had days we knew you would be expecting people then I am sure you would have quite a few visitors.

This will work great for me, thanks for all the trouble!

Once again, you guys are great getting back to me and others. I just purchased a Kreg 44inch x 44inch table. Also few tools (Irwin wire stripper). Question. I will probably get your tool kit. Putting X-Carve together, what tools would be needed? Are they all metric? Sorry if this question is duplicated.