X-carve run on linux

Dose any one know of a way to the x-carve on linux. I dont like windows and i wouyld like to run the x-carve from am linux computer. Dose any one have any ideas on this.

My open source tool path consists of drawing with Librecad (mostly because I’ve been using it for years) into HeeksCad to create the tooling and toolpaths. To control the machine, I use ChiliPeppr and the Json server they provide. Before attempting a cut, I use CAMotics as simple check to see there are no issues with the code before uploading into ChiliPeppr.

http://librecad.org/cms/home.html

http://chilipeppr.com/

There are PPAs for Librecad and Heekscad…

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:librecad-dev/librecad-stable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:neomilium/heekscnc-devel

Heekscad will not install in the latest version of Ubuntu (16.04) as the libraries are too new. I keep checking development but it hasn’t been updated. I ended up running this in a VM. As long as your on a slightly older version of Linux you should be ok.

Also, I have F-Engrave and Freecad installed but have yet to use them.

1 Like

Easel, export gcode, load into BCNC, run.

Much as I like to bitch about Easel not being able to control the machine in Linux, I still like using it for basic stuff.

The X-Carve is forked from the Shapeoko, so the opensource workflow for it still applies: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable (just ignore the notes about the new proprietary software and Easel) and rather than MakerCAM, use gcodetools w/in Inkscape (or some other CAD/CAM option — see the pages Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable and Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable for the other opensource options)

As of this morning, Heekscad will now install on 16.04. I noticed during a system update this evening, Libraries used by Heekscad had been updated. Looking at the repo, there was a successful commit for Xenial.

After installing, I noticed a bug importing my tool table. It could be a Mate/Caja issue. Dragging it into the window imported it correctly. Make sure you take available system updates before installing.