X-carve software

Good Morning Everyone,

Is there a particular software that everyone uses to cut. I am using Easel right now and really like it… However I do get nervous that Inventables will randomly close up shop some day… and I will be without any software to run my cnc. I have looked into Vcarve however. The verson for the x-carve will only cut up to 24x24. I have the 1000mm and would like to use a software that gives me full capabilities for my 1000mm cnc. Don’t ask me why Inventables wouldn’t offer a software that does not cut to the full range of their 1000mm version… I’m happy with everything else… you just never know when a business will up and close its doors in today’s society.

Thanks in Advance,
Casey

Morning Casey. Easel will certainly run on the 1000mm machine. I’m assuming you need to correct your settings to tell the software what size machine you have.

1 Like

You need help

1 Like

I think you meant that V Carve Desktop will only operate in 24 x 24 space.
I have that software and do have to tile designs sometimes but not often.
I have only tiled through the Y axis for signs and that is rather simple.
I could see tiling in both X and Y would be a little tricky.
There are some who are using Fusion 360 which is free but has a steep learning curve.
You also may want to learn an other sender fort he g code if you are worried about Easle going away.

1 Like

Consider learning how to draw in a CAD program. There are free ones out there. I don’t use easel, but I draw in a 3d program. I convert the drawings to Gcode in either Meshcam ( 3d) or Cambam ( 2d) and run the code through the universal gcode sender which is a free download.

Casey, I suppose we could worry about manufacturers of everything we buy might go out of business. As far as I know there’s no reason to think Easel is going anywhere. In fact, it looks to be well supported. And, if something was to happen - there are alternatives.

I gotta be honest though Casey - nothing I’ve seen [2.5 D] is as easy to use and gives such admirable results.

I’m a hobbyist, not a professional. I bought a monthly subscription right before Christmas to help knock out a bunch of Christmas gifts. Four free days a month after that will suit me just fine after that.

Hello Dave. Thank you for your response. I was referring to the Vcarve software. It says on Inventables website that it will only cut up to 24x24" not the full 1000x1000mm. Thanks, I use Easel now… Just worried someday they may up and close shop. Just reaching out to see what kind of software everyone uses and likes.

1 Like

What software are you using?

Sorry Casey. I misread your post. I am using Easel. Quite happy with it and don’t foresee myself needing anything else, unless I get better and require more than the software is able to provide. I would think as the community grows and seeks more, that Inventables will keep adding to the software. Happy Holidays.

1 Like

No need to apologize… Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your time. Merry Christmas!

Rhino3d for all my drawing needs. Meshcam for 3d CAM and CamBam for 2D cam.

1 Like

I use Vcarve Pro from Vectric, no restriction as to size. The restrictions are on their Vcarve Desktop version but I started with that version and when I needed to carve larger than 24x24 I used the tiling function very easy to learn. Plus if you buy Desktop to start you can always upgrade to Pro at any time.

I use Deskproto for both my 2D and 3D machining, it’s not as well known as the other packages but I felt it was more powerful and better value than Meshcam.