X-Carve spindle acting weird

i only got refund on spindle :frowning:
But no complaining as I bought everything 3 days before spindle stop spinning on me :smile:
I just wanted upgrade to dewalt anyway

My spindle started acting weird yesterday. It first started while cutting started making loud growling noises and weird vibrations, so I turned down the fpm to 5, but it stayed the same. Then it wouldn’t start from easel no matter what I tried, so I tried this morning and it would only start if I gave it a risky finger start. Next time it started ok, is this the beginning of the end for this one also? I have the 611 mount on order and will order the router today. If everyone thinks this is a spindle issue I will contact Inventables tomorrow. Thanks for the help once again. Ron

Ron my problem was the spindle was carving multiple carving’s of the same letter. It would start carving then move a little to the right and a little up and start carving the same letter again and it kept doing this until it looked like I have four to five of the same letter imposed on the other just offset a little and it also was carving way off the ‘Y’ axis of the board. Called inventables, sent a video and the result is the above exchange. Didn’t ask for a thing, was just offered. So check with Inventables and let them know what’s happening.

Sure!

1 Like

yes, same here, so I did got 611 and emailed support

It’s amazing how quickly you become accustomed to something and when it is removed how much you miss it! The good news in all of this is replacement parts are on the way and I will be up and carving again soon! Just not soon enough! :cry:

Thanks Dallas, what a nice set up.

1 Like

update, found a 1/8" spindle for the DeWalt, all’s good.

Hmmm, with that pricing for regular collets you guys might consider a collet kit from Precise bits. You get better performance, a collet care kit and I love the spanner tool:

http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/dewalt_611_kits.asp?tsPT=!!!Dewalt_611!!!Kit!!!PG!!!

Found my collet here for $19.50, a little less than what I saw at your site?

My new DeWalt 611 mount arrived today, didn’t quite expect it that soon. Installed it in just a few minutes, easy installation. You can see the size difference here. Now for the 611 to arrive!

Oh, I meant look at the kits. You get the collet nut and three or more inserts, plus the tools, collet care oil, etc. for around $90 - which I thought was a good deal. You could get 4 or 5 for that price at your site, but these are precision ER collets so theoretically they would perform better. Probably not noticeably better however.

My Dewalt 611 mount has been shipped and should be here next week, and I also ordered the router and it will be here then also. Inventables got back to me right away and offered me a $60.00 gift card, so I can get more goodies from them. Other than the bad luck of the spindle, and my ineptness at the software, the Xcarve and Inventables have been great. Thanks also to all of you on the forum for your help and ideas. I need all the help I can get. Ron

Ron, my experience with Inventables has been nothing but positive and I have nothing but praise for them and their customer service after the sale! Also my 611 mount arrived in about two days so be on the look out for it!

Excited, going from 300 watts to over 800 watts should make a big difference in the way my x-carve works!

James,

I just found out that my 611 should be here any day now, but I still have to wait for the mount from Inventables. Oh well, I can practice on Easel.

Ron

My DeWalt 611 arrived 2 days ahead of schedule, happy camper. Now where is that 1/8" collet? :grinning: :smile:

Looks good, but I would recommend a big paddle E-Stop switch for the 611 and steppers mounted on the table in front of the machine. If something goes wrong you will want to stop it in a hurry. The 611 will cut through everything if there is a problem.

A switch like this is cheap and the effort needed to install it is small,

Allen, Looks good but I am waiting to see if I’ve been chosen to field test the new power controller w/e stop that Inventables is coming out with. Also my switches are just to the left of my side and I think I can hit them about as fast as I could hit the e stop!

I don’t think the new controller will have an E-stop for the 110V Dewalt Router. Only the stepper motors and maybe for a 48V DC spindle.