X-Carve Stopping Mid Carve

Ok so I am having an issue where the x-carve just randomly completes the job (even though it isn’t done) and the whole machine shuts off including the controller board then I have to reboot the machine to get it to connect to easel again. I have tried several troubleshooting steps. I am running on a Macbook with Caffeine installed so it doesn’t go to sleep.

Ran the job with no bit installed with the router in the air
Ran the job without the dust collection on
Ran the job without the spindle on
Ran the job without both dust and spindle on
Ran the job with the xcarve and computer on a UPS with no dust or spindle on
Attached a powered USB hub
Bypassed the USB adapter to the front faceplate
Isolated the xcarve to it’s own outlet with a UPS attached
Tried a different carve file

The issue appears to be random intervals I have tested the same carve in midair and it gets to random percentage then just quits saying it is completed. I looked through many of the forum articles for this that mention noise, but I believe I have eliminated these interferences already. I have used CNC machines before, and I am aware of the strange things noise can cause but this is strange like the controller is just shutting itself off. I’ve been praying to the CNC gods and they haven’t helped yet. This is a brand new xcarve 2021 that I assembled before the holidays and wanted to create some gifts but so far, I haven’t had any luck. If I do a small carve like 6" x 6" then it will complete the job sometimes but other times, it doesn’t. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays everyone!

I don’t have an outright solution to your issue, love the troubleshooting you’ve already gone through.
You could open Machine Inspector and check for any errors or alarms. Go to Machine>General Settings>Machine Inspector and check in there right after the carve completes…

BUT IMO it sounds like a power or EMI issue, but you’ve kinda already done basically everything I would suggest for ruling those things out…

You could try a different gcode sender like OpenBuilds Control (there’s a Mac version) so you’d export the gcode from Easel (Project>Download Gcode) and then open the file with openbuilds, make sure to set zeros properly, and then run the file (there’s a probing feature with multiple probe options if you want to use the Z probe too)

Thanks Seth I try not to waste anyone’s time on the basics, so I make sure to start there first. I work in IT for my day to day job so I like to think I rule everything out one thing at a time. I honestly didn’t know about the Machine Inspector portion until now I will run a job again and check there next. I will also look into sending the g-code using another piece of software to rule out Easel, but I don’t think that is it. I suspect a hardware/power/EMI issue but again I ruled out most while troubleshooting I hope it’s not faulty hardware, but I’ve seen crazy things do wizardly things on electronics. Anything is possible and I will continue to rule things out as people suggest. Thanks again and Happy Holidays sir!

1 Like

If this is an EMI issue here are a few things to try:

1. Purchase a really nice USB cable that has good shielding.
  2. Route the router’s power cable away from other signal/control wiring.
  3. Strip back all of the stepper-cable jackets at the X-Controller side enough to get to the shield/drain foil/wire inside the cable. Either connect them all together or purchase some connectors specific for clamping onto it and once you have them all connected, connect them to a GND connection on the lower set of connectors. This will provide a path for any voltage induced on the Shield/Drain to be passed to the GND within the controller.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

I will definitely find a better shielded USB cable but as for the stepper cable shielding, I will hold off on this for now but I’m not against trying this at some point however I just bought this setup and don’t want to void any warranty by modifying any of the prefabbed cables. Isolating shielding/grounds was one of the things I thought about but was hesitant as I don’t want to void any warranties on the brand-new setup. I’m not sure EMI would cause the controller to fully shut down, maybe cause weird glitches but when I have this issue it fully shuts down the controller power and USB as if I hit the E-stop, but the only difference is I can recover from an e-stop triggered alarm. When I trigger E-stop both power and USB LED turn off, but the cooling fan stays on however when the system “completes” the job it shuts everything down including the cooling fan and I cannot recover without power cycling the controller board.

This is a regular X-Carve with the X-Controller?

If so, have you unplugged everything and ensured all of the internal connections within the X-Controller are tight? I know there was an issue a while back with some of the pre-crimped wire connections on the E-Stop switch.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Yes, it’s the x-carve 2021 with the x-controller. I unplugged all the connections that come apart and re-hooked them just in case. I checked all the connections and I believe they are solid. I made sure all the crimped connections weren’t loose. The behavior is almost like an e-stop was triggered but again the software says the carve completed and the x-controller completely shuts down including the cooling fan whereas if I actually trigger an e-stop it doesn’t turn off the cooling fan on the x-controller.

Ok so turns out I had a faulty power supply form the jump. I reached out to support, and they sent me a replacement power distribution PCB as well as a power supply. I replaced the PCB and had no change. I then used both new parts and I have been carving successfully for a few days now. Nothing major but it’s definitely been running smooth. I even put it back the way it was with the old power supply to make sure I wasn’t crazy, and it wasn’t just a connection issue. In the end replacing this faulty component fixed the issue, I just had to wait for support to ship out the parts which is never fun to have a new toy that is broken.

1 Like