X-Carve Workspace Showcase

I finally managed to get around to snapping a couple photos showing the outside of the dust shields. They certainly work, but are not as effective as a dust shoe for sure. I used a drill press with a fence to drill the holes so that they are in line and help keep the y rails the same height front to back.

I replaced the locking struts from a big box store for the keyboard shelf with a couple 100n pneumatic supports, they work so much better.

2 Likes

Is that cork on the top of your table? Does it help deaden the noise? Looks great!

it is cork, I canā€™t say for sure that it reduces noise but with how flat and smooth the MDF the torsion box is, I needed it to keep the darn thing on the table. Having run it without the cork on a different surface, Iā€™m guessing it probably does only minimal sound dampening, but it is only 1/16" thick. Most of my resonance limitation comes from having a stable mounting surface (the cork and torsion box combined) to sink the vibration into mass with the heavy top and 3/4 ply base. I can say with certainty that I donā€™t get any real resonances from the table, but my stock 300W spindle is still noisy. I just wanted something inexpensive, attractive, uniform, grippy and resists easy compression to put down and a couple rolls of cork from the craft store worked perfectly.

2 Likes

Awesome! Might have to incorporate this in to the new table Iā€™m strongly considering building!

1 Like

Looking to purchase a X-carve soon. I am currently building my shop and would like to know what size workbench I should build for the 1000mm X-carve.

A minimum of 1000X1000 :smile:

5 Likes

Thank you captain obviousā€¦ lol

Now I will be serous. Build your table for the XC so you have some room around the machine but not so much that it is hard to reach to the center of the machine. Build the table top so it is solid and flat. This is what makes your machine as flat and level as possible. If you table sags in the middle the machine will also.

There are a lot of good examples of tables and work stations here on this thread.

Keep asking questions

Dave

Mine is 48" wide by 42.5" deep before I put the cedar trim around it. Honestly, if I were to do it again, Iā€™d want to make it a little deeper so I had more room to lay tools and things around it, but as it stands thereā€™s a decent amount of space around the whole machine without it feeling like itā€™s too big. thereā€™s maybe a total of 2" in front and behind the machine and a few on either side. Enough room to set a lid if I were to make one.

2 Likes

Mineā€™s close to the same, I went 48"x44".

2 Likes

My table measures 45"x45".

2 Likes

Here is my case for the X-Carve

Go here for the build info Menerso build and mods

5 Likes

So Iā€™m looking at expanding my X-Carve from 500m x 660mm to the full 1000mm x 1000mm and will require me to make a new workstation. Iā€™ve seen a lot of great ideas in this forum and just wanted to share what I was messing around with in SketchUp. It is tall enough to make it the level I would need to be a standup workstation and maximize storage to include room for a shop vac and dust seperator. There is a pull out shelf the the keyboard and mouse and another one for hopefully someday in the futureā€¦ the X-Controller! The top is large enough to fit the entire full size X-Carve and a monitor stand for dual monitors. The workstation is on casters to allow it to be moved as needed. Iā€™d love to hear any comments or suggestions.

1 Like

looks good, similar to mine. I hope those monitors are going to be big or youā€™ll want to consider mounting them closer or using an arm as theyā€™ll be waaaaay back there. I suggest adding some type of power inlet so youā€™re not dragging a cord around, I use a leviton outdoor inlet that I can just plug a regular extension cord into.

Yeah, I was looking at your setup and it looks really good. Anything you would have done differently?

Iā€™m pretty happy, though I was halfway into the build when I realized the size required me to re-arrange the shop, making my previous PC setup untenable, so I wished I had put a keyboard tray in that had enough room for the mouse as wellā€¦but you have that covered. I had looked into making a fold up/collapsible unit but decided against it because I didnā€™t want to deal with the complexity. I also wish I had made my top a little larger so that I could have the vacuum hose come through it as opposed to out from one of the sides.

I keep all my ā€˜shop furnitureā€™ of a similar design. This is made from 3/4 birch, drawers for storage, a door in the front to access the power supply and a clamp on computer bracket to hold the laptop and hose.
Theres also plenty of room behind the drawers for a shop vac, making this a stand-alone, mobile unit.
Enjoy!

11 Likes

Just curious; with that huge dust system on the right, why use the shop vac?

Well, one was to keep the workstation portable and self contained. Noise and air volume also came into play. With the shopvac located inside the cabinet, the noise is greatly reduced. The whole plan may change once my DC is relocated outside the shop. Also, the shopvac is not meant for hours of continuous use, so I anticipate that eventually being a problem.

@HighPointWW
I love use of the second monitor mount. Very clever dust hose support. Very nice X-Carve base by the way!