X-Carve Workspace Showcase

I’m planning on getting the 50cm version, more for space than anything as I don’t want to give up too much of my apartment to a workshop :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually just found this video on youtube and is exactly what I’d love to achieve, I can’t believe how quiet they’ve managed to make it.

1 Like

Yeah, and if I’m not mistaken, the person that built this enclosure just happens to be selling it … or already has … I saw a post on the for sale board here awhile ago.

You won’t actually be able to know how effective it is without actually taking some sort of sound measurements. Basic “soundproofing” enclosures like this typically only reduce to a decibel level of 60 or so of sound, and not all in the important frequencies. If you can find it in your area a product called Quiet Rock will greatly increase your results, but of course it’s pricey. Use it with a product called Green Glue to add more mass, which will increase the efficiency and absorb more sound.

what I just threw together. It’s solid, so we’ll see when it shows up on Monday how it fits. crossing fingers

3 Likes

How do you like the X-Carve under the workbench like that? My workbench is very similar and I could easily stow the router underneath.

Well, the Xcarve just arrived last night. Just got it almost finished… and apparently made a slight calculation mistake. With the new sideboard, the table is 2 inches too narrow for it to fit like I had hoped. So I may have to screw in a 2x4 on the side or something, not that big of a deal. Just need to do some research now on the belt tension, xcontroller tweaks, etc and I can give it a good test.

1 Like

I got tired of having the X-Carve underneath very quickly, but it worked until I finished building my new workbench for it. The real problem was that this same work table was what I put a sheet of plywood on to cut up with the track saw, so I found myself asking my wife to help me move the X-Carve down to the shelf so I could cut up a sheet of plywood, and then ask for help again to put the X-Carve back to actually work with that plywood piece. It was a lot of back and forth. The new workbench is a derivative of the New Yankee Workshop work table the same as my main work table, but the new one has a modified torsion box design that’s high enough to accommodate the X-Controller and an accessory drawer, but the retractable wheels make it just as mobile as the main table.
It’s got a side cutout for access to the back of the controller and other wiring. Here’s a picture of my workshop. The newest toy is the Chinese K40 laser cutter in the back corner. Unfortunately the “temporary” shelf I put under my big table to store the X-Carve has now collected clutter which is what I was trying to avoid.

7 Likes

Thanks, it’s evolved a lot over a few years. Here’s another shot from a bit further down where you can see the Festool work table on top of a cabinet I designed. The second shot shows the back corner where the remaining big tools sit while waiting to be pulled out for use. It’s getting tricky to wheel out the table saw past the Festool and X-Carve tables - when I use the table saw I wheel it out to where the lathe sits.

4 Likes

When new people visit my workshop for the first time, it’s about when they see the hand tool holders on the far wall that they start taking pictures.

I had a friend from work visit with his wife once and gave them both the shop tour and told of how the Festool stuff helped build the workshop cabinets and keep me organized. The friend later let me know that on their way home his wife didn’t just give him permission to buy the Festools I mentioned, SHE TOLD HIM TO!

1 Like

BTW, I’m pretty in awe of your Coke fridge powder coat oven.

1 Like

I think I’m out of room for more big toys.

1 Like

We all know you’re mostly using it for pizza…

1 Like

What’s also funny is that I’ve had times where I had a carve going on the CNC in the workshop, a 3D print going in the other part of the basement, and I was upstairs watching TV and monitoring both via webcams. It’s like I replaced myself in my hobbies with automation.

1 Like

about 15 years ago I built a handful of “EAA chapter 1000 worktables” which are nominally 2’x4" but I built one 4’x4’

Started with a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood which Lowe’s ripped to two 2’x4’ and a single 4’x4’

Materials are standard 3/4" plywood and 2x4" lumber. You can put one together in less than an hour if you have a chop saw. they are amazingly sturdy and cheap.

Do a web search for “EAA chapter 1000 table” and modify as you see fit. Hard to beat.

For a 500mm machine I wasthinking of this from IKEA, Berkvam only 40 EUR

Just curious…I haven’t seen anyone ask…why is the shaft sticking way out the back of that motor? Sure has my curiosity caught lol. I haven’t saw that before!

I think u would have a hard time building one for less especially with the wheels. (Unless u have scrap wood.)!!! Just make sure it’s level and sturdy!! If not, toss some extra screws in it!!

I totally believe it. Mine is underneath right now, I’ll probably build a new table shortly. Question, what’s with the pull cables underneath the X-Carve’s table? Looks like you can pull a pin? Casters I’m assuming?

Love the shop, we’re nearly basement twins. I’ll post a few when I get some time (And a little cleaner of course…)

1 Like

That’s the retractable wheel mechanism, see this YouTube video to see Norm demonstrate it

where did you get that wire loom?