very nice now all you need is a DamnitJim name plate for your machine

1 Like

WELL MY MACHINE AND CABINET ARE FINALLY DONE!!! all I

need now is a dust collection setup!
Uploadingā€¦ Uploadingā€¦
Uploadingā€¦
Uploadingā€¦

11 Likes

I didnā€™t have a plan per-se, I just used some 1/2" mdf to build a box 22" tall the same dimensions as my table which happen to be 49"x42" I used 1"x2" furring strips in all of the inside corners to screw 3/4" cabinet screws to hold it together after it was built I used speed square to draw a 45 degree line from what would be the front of the cabinet upward to the top of the box on both sides then I drew and cut a line across the top where the piano hinge is attached I used a circular saw to make all the cuts I did this after I built the box because I donā€™t have a proper shop and table saw to make all these angle cuts and hope it fits together afterwardsā€¦I did however make the front piece of wood an inch longer so that it would overhang the edge of my table to help seal in sound and dust i used window weather stripping on all of the lid edges to seal it up when its closed. I also added furring strips to the top of the box where the hinge is to stiffen it up.

Hello Everyone,
Ive read thru a lot of these posts. Might have missed some here and there. I just finished putting my machine together and its now sitting on my dining room table. Im about to start build a table for it. I ave a quick question. Do all of you who add sound dampening material do it because the machine is in a home or basement? I plan on keeping my machine in my shop in my detached garage so Iā€™m not overly concerned if its done for just a sound issue.

Mine is just mdf I can stand next to the machine with the lid closed and carry on a conversation comfortably, my 3 year old son is in the next room I Havenā€™t woken him up yet carving until 3 am , however I only have 1 window and its 1/4" plexi, I cutout a bump stop from 3/4" oak with a 1/4" endmill which was pretty loud but it didnā€™t wake anybody up eitherā€¦ if its in a detatched garage I wouldnā€™t worry about the sound to much in any enclosure the 611 spindle is pretty quiet IMHO.

Inside the house?! Your braver than I! Lol

1 Like

how did you do the main power box (I am not good at wiring).

Iā€™ll have to try to draw something up, Iā€™m not very good at making wiring diagrams I usually work as I got when I wire things up. are you comfortable with working with 110V wiring?

If you take some pictures and make a simple diagram I can figure it out. I have some friends I can ask around here for the exact way to do it. thanks

I ordered a 750x750 X-Carve / 3.8w laser last nightā€¦ Seeing as the wife didnā€™t kill me in my sleep I figure Iā€™ll start planning for where Iā€™m going to put this thing.

My question is how much work top surface area do I need for this and the side board? The PC will go on a shelf under and monitor will be mounted on a wall.

Designing a workspace while waiting for my X-Carve to ship. Tempted to go with a folding solution (similar to some of those shared here). Having not built/used the X-Carve yet, Iā€™m not sure if storing the unit vertically will cause squaring issues or deformation of any of the rails, etc. I havenā€™t seen any mention of issues like this on this forum, so Iā€™m guessing it hasnā€™t shown up as an issue for those that went this way over a year ago. Right?

Going to design in a resting block for the gantry just in case.

I assume it will be important to check level after each unfolding (depending on repeatability of the folding mechanism design).

I would design in some parking blocks for the center and ends of the gantry to rest against when in the stowed position. figuring on the back side of the unit, against the wall to be at the bottom when stowed, you would run the gantry all the way to the rear, resting it against the blocks then flip the table up.

How do you handle Dust collection? This looks like itā€™s in your living room or something. Cheers.

I have bought a ā€˜Suckitā€™ dust boot. Itā€™s actually in our study in a separate building at the back of the house.

so i basically stole this from DIY Tyler on Youtube so props to him. But i am waiting for mine also i made mine 4ft by 5ft it is going to work great and keeps the machine out of the way when i am not using it.

5 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Joel and this is my X-Carve build ā€œshowcaseā€ now that I finally have my dust boot installed and everything aligned and trammed.

I have a small company called Clam Hammer Designs (www.clamhammer.com) making mostly custom Colorado beetle-kill flags and such and recently picked up a client that gave me the push I needed to take my business to the next level when they asked me to make some custom wood coasters and clocks engraved with their logo.

So- I ordered and built my 1000mm X-Carve and table over Christmas and wanted to wait until I got the Suckit Dust Boot installed to show everyone my setup. Alas, the Suckit arrived today and it was definitely worth the wait.

My table is built 5ā€™ x 4ā€™ x 36" with added adjustable feet to level it out on my uneven basement slab in my current wood shop. I have to say how impressed I am with the quality of this machine, the dust boot, and Inventables as a company.

Not to mention, the forums have been an incredible source of information and I look forward to contributing what I can as I try out some custom machining projects over the years to come. My background is in composites machining of prototype flight hardware for space exploration missions (think Orion, Juno, Osiris-REX, etc.) and itā€™s definitely helped me figure out this build.

My only complaint so far is the Z-axis rigidity. Using V-wheels with long bolts and that bearing that has all the tension pulling on one side (which popped my Z bearing flange out pretty quickly) seems like a bad design. Iā€™ll be looking at linear Z-axis rails as my next upgrade and that should make this machine darn near bullet-proof! (At least in my mind :))

Even for those with zero experience in CNC machining, Inventables has done a bang-up job getting the assembly and customer support mapped out. Coupled with the vast knowledge spread throughout this forum, I am thrilled to be a new member of this great maker community!

Upgrades I still want to tackle:

• lifted Y plates
    -stiffen up the Y-axes (ASAP)
    -install linear Z-axis
    -Blue loctite to everything w/o a nylon nut on it!
4 Likes

Thanks Phil. Thank you for taking the time and energy to make all those extremely helpful videos and posts!

That steps per mm calculator you made is the ā– ā– ā– ā– .

2 Likes

Iā€™m getting ready to build my table and was planning on 4X6, but yours looks good on 4x5. Do you think it fits good? Do you wish you had went larger?

I originally planned on making mine 4x6ā€™, but to save some space in the olā€™ shop I cut it down to 4x5ā€™. With the sideboard and my laptop, itā€™s a perfect fit for what I need. I may even get rid of the sideboard eventually to get some extra laptop/workspace, but unless you want more surface area next to your X-Carve, 4x5ā€™ is as small as I would go.

1 Like

Actually, the first 3 signs of old age are:

Loss of memory
Erectile dysfunction
ā€¦
I canā€™t remember the thirdā€¦