X-Carve Workspace Showcase

Thanks for responding. I definitely think I’m going to look into this route.

what size bits did you use? with it only allowing you to use 2 bits I cant seem to make this in under 5 hours with what i know of.

Long time lurker, but finally made the purchase in December for the 1000. Working on a new work bench, a good bit of inspiration from the showcase here. Here is a current mock up but I am trying to figure out how to optimize space a bit here. In the pic, the right cabinet area is 48 inches deep(total top dims are 4ftx8ft). I don’t really NEED drawers that deep and was curious if anyone may have ideas on utilizing that back area? I’m thinking 24-30 is deep enough but that leaves a good bit of unused space that I don’t want to just waste. There will only be a 5 inch duct coming through the side that feeds up to the x-carve but that’s it in that space.

The left thinner cabinet will be a pull out that holds cans/containers etc and the work bench in front will be a pull out assembly table (not fully modeled atm, just thrown together for dims, the feet will be casters not those little nubs). The overhang on the main stationary bench will have lighting and suspension for the dust hose, and the left shelving will likely change but I was trying to find a home for all my dewalt container cases(similar to the HF or Sortimo ones). Both bench tops are torsion boxes, and i’m contemplating making part of the assembly bench torsion box work as a downdraft as well.

Would love any thoughts or comments, especially on utilizing the remaining space. I can leave it empty but… it’s easier to add now rather than later :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey there Tommy,
I used the 1/8 for the rough cut and the 1/16 for the fine cut. I speed up the feed rate a just a bit.

I may just cantilever that side a bit, make room for the knees while sitting/rolling around. Haven’t had any decent ideas for the space out side of long term storage or maybe a shelf along the back for long stock. Still a few weeks to think on it.

Finally got my x carve, decided I should start making a spot for it…
Went out and grabbed a few 2x10x10’s and ripped them down to 2 7/8" x 5’.
Going to laminate it all together to make a 48"×60" bench.
First section gluing up now… 4 more to go… I need more bar clamps… then through the planer and put on a yet undecided base.

No matter how many you have, that statement is always true!

1 Like

Good God man. The Marine in me is having an anxiety attack just looking at the state of your shop right now. Time for a good ole Chinese field day!

1 Like

Exactly! Like what are you doing with a soda water canister? :smiley:

Sometimes a guy just gets thirsty mid-build and a keg of mountain dew is the only thing that’ll quench that thirst!

1 Like

Nor mine!

1 Like

Took the original 1970s workbench the previous owner built into the garage and extended it the 2in needed for xcarve 1000 to fit. Replaced the hardboard as original was well used. Surface underneath is 2x6s and frame screwed into studs of garage.

Mechanical packages arrive Thursday! Wasteboard and controller lagging but figure I’ll use Phil’s squaring instructions anyway vs wasteboard first.

I think I have everything. Mostly assembled needs wiring. It is built on a 48" x 48" rolling bench I use in the shop. 48" is not wide enough so the controller has to find a home close by.

I lost a screw that holds the limit switch onto the z axis. I am shuddering to think I have to order five screws for $3 and pay $6 in shipping for a single screw. Maybe I’ll just use some epoxy to hold it on.

My big question is how tight to set the belts? I don’t play guitar and I don’t know how tight the strings should be on a guitar either.

1 Like

There is a lot of information on the forum about this. But having said that, if I remember correctly, get a fish scale and with the scale in the center of the belt lift one inch. The scale should read approximately 4 1/2 lbs. please verify by checking the forum. Also, other on the forum, please confirm

1 Like

Great storage cart idea !!! Would you be willing to share your cut sizes or plans if you wrote them down ??? Big thanks if you could.

Completed assembly, all the parts were there. Made the first carve and a second. I have much to learn. I used my cheapest pine plywood and it still turned out pretty good,

“G”

3 Likes

Finally received my Dust System and have it mocked up in place in relation to my enclosure.

Drawing up a bracket to print for the upper hose assembly to structurally support it by bolting to the 80/20 frame. The lower hose assembly will swivel around inside as it pleases.
The hose above the enclosure is press fit on so that I can detach and clean up within the enclosure.

Intend to purchase the IOT relay (v2) and mount it on the backside of the X controller.
Also, I have the Misumi frame extrusion and will be replacing out the bed with it shortly.
I’m considering doing a belt upgrade, but can’t decide which path to choose.

Otherwise a few odds and ends to button up and I’m overall extremely satisfied with the whole setup.
:blush:

9 Likes

Very sharp enclosure. Well done. Can we see more pics? I want to see the door mechanism. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thanks! There’s a couple more here pre-dust setup.

Two alloy hinges on the right side.
Left side has the single toggle clamp with a couple adapter plates I fabricated.
I wanted the door to be sturdy and the clamp mechanism to be simple and strong.
Door seal is some adhesive backed weatherstrip material from Home Depot.

1 Like

Couple photos I took today.
An inside detail of the door and a look at the 3D printed bracket I’m testing out for the tubing.
So far so good on the bracket - this was a quick print in PLA to check fitment.

4 Likes