X-Carve Workspace Showcase

6 Likes

7 Likes

Impressive! That first picture looks like the world’s biggest Weber grill at first glance. Terrific design by you.

4 Likes

Carving your name in your steak

1 Like

Nice clean design Dcliff9 :+1:

1 Like

Just when you think you’re the king, someone else knocks you down. I’m definitely having to rethink my own workspace now…gee, thanks a lot. :wink:

Nice job!!

2 Likes

Awesome, you could go into the X-Carve enclosure business.

But you also NEED to make a cyclone separator out of an old propane tank and hang it off the side.

5 Likes

:rofl: another grill reference goes here :rofl:

came out great, really dig the lid control panel

1 Like

Oh man. What have you done? I occasionally check this thread to see the creativity everyone has, but this is the first time I’ve really been shocked. It looks like a commercial mill enclosure. Now that I’ve started doing a lot more milling on my machine, the aluminum shavings are really starting to become a pita. Such a big job to undertake, but I like it’s height and cleanliness. My machine is quite a bit taller than a factory machine, so I’d have to make some changes, but I do really like this. I might have to reevaluate everything! Mind if I ask what the dials are for on the face? I see you have what looks like a stop bottom, but what are the dials for? Fan speeds? Also, did you make this out of mdf?

1 Like

@Pyrex I was curious too so I took a closer look at the main front view picture. This is what I found.

@Dcliff9 Extremely impressive setup! Looks very professional

1 Like

I actually just used off/on switches from amazon. These are manual control for lights, spindle, dust collection, and a relay for a solenoid that turns on air for the mister. These are also routed through the x-controller/relays for automated control. There is also a large start/stop switch that controls main power. I just liked how industrial it looked. I made it from 3mm ABS and used a silhouette cameo to make a stencil to paint on the labels and outline.

I also did a panel with an emergency stop button as well as a USB port and a power button for a CNCJS setup on a raspberry pi. A laptop can be plugged into the port to run easel or you can run straight off the pi. I took apart an old usb switch that I had so you can toggle between the two. I haven’t got around to creating a stencil to label it to match the power control panel yet but I will eventually.

Adding some info based on some of the questions I’ve had. There is an easily accessible trough on the side that doubles as a laptop or parts shelf. This houses all of the wiring, relays, x-controller, etc. It has an automated fan for temperature control. It’s a bit of a mess but functional.

Here is a photo of the back. I have two separate enclosures behind the doors. One is for a dust separator and one is for a shop vac. They are hosed together and piped up to the top for the dust collection hose. The two black circles are intake ports to allow in fresh air for the dust collection since the enclosure is mostly sealed. I just covered them with some cheap speaker grills. At the top you will notice an air quick coupler. This is the only part of the system that is not self contained. I elected to use my shop’s air compressor for the misting system. This is piped to a solenoid that I control from the m8 control from the x-controller.

2 Likes

So how do you like controlling the mister with a solenoid? I’m interested on which one you used. I was concerned that I wouldn’t get coolant when I needed it as mine tends to need a little while to get going full speed.

1 Like

I use this one with a basic 5v relay.
https://amzn.to/3QutBiy

Using a solenoid does have its challenges. I have to prime the nozzle before I start cutting. I generally try to get it going with a light mist and then just let it keep going throughout the carve. It works pretty well though, and i don’t have to worry about turning anything off at the end of the carve. I plan to upgrade to something that allows me to control the air and mist independently as I often don’t need both throughout an entire carve.

1 Like

It looks like you’re doing misting, but with a MDF waste board - how do you avoid that causing swelling issues?

To be honest, I’ve only used it a couple times on some ABS to keep it from melting. I was nervous about it as well. I put a thin plastic sheet (painter sheet) under my scratch board and used rubber washers on my clamps to keep any moisture from seeping into the wasteboard. Then I hit it with my heat gun for a second after I was done just to make sure.

I have a plan in my mind for making a clampable tray out of aluminum or plastic for later use. Just something to keep the water off of the MDF. Eventually I might get into an aluminum t-track wasteboard scenario but I’m not there yet.

1 Like

I am up and running. Took three days to build the X Carve.

2 Likes

Minwax makes a sealer that works great for keeping moisture away from wood. There are similar brands as well.

https://amzn.to/3bBzT1l

1 Like