X-Carve Workspace Showcase

If you’re milling aluminum, you use alcohol so it evaporates before it ever hits the waste board. I did 1.5 hour long carve with mist the entire time. My waste board was dry at the end of it. The liquid particles either hit the bit or get absorbed by hot chips and blown out of the cut, all of which cause instant evaporation.

That sounds like a fire hazard to me.

Alcohol is flammable. A fast spinning bit in wood can also produce flame. Always have a fire extinguisher on hand when machining and dont let it run unattended.

I am using a mister with air / denatured alcohol but the amount of fluid is very very low. In my case its about 3fl.oz per hr (100ml/hr)
It evaporate almost instantly.

Datron (CNC mfgr) use denatured alcohol too, but I am pretty sure they have a good air extraction / measures.

That’s a nice, engaging setup, Kevin! Love the art and flooring.

Machinists have been doing it for over 50 years. Aluminum is not a ferrous metal so it doesn’t spark.

Are the evaporated fumes not flammable?
Does your router not create sparks at the brush contacts?

There’s pressurized air blowing the material away, not even close to stoichiometric anywhere near that far away. You might have a chance if you had an open flame on the bit. Maybe you could have an issue if it was sealed running for hours with a broken ventilation system. This type of coolant is most frequently used on non-sealed systems though, so that’s irrelevant. But, like I said, it’s been an industry standard for decades on machines not using a flood system. I’ve never heard of anyone having an issue. Here’s a quote from an article that might answer your questions:

“Ethanol is a naturally occurring form of alcohol with a low evaporation temperature. Though flammable, it is safe for use with workpiece materials that will not spark or develop an unusually high amount of heat during the machining process. Suitable materials include non-ferrous metals such as aluminum, copper, magnesium and brass, as well as a variety of plastics (excluding some polycarbonates whose crystalline matrix may be damaged by the ethanol). It is obviously not appropriate for machining ferrous materials, because the sparks generated as a carbide tool cuts such material could ignite the ethanol. In addition, ferrous materials should not be used for workpiece fixturing, in case a cutting tool inadvertently contacts the fixture as a result of a programming or operator error. The fumes that are generated as the ethanol evaporates are removed via a fan located within the machine enclosure. Optional fire suppression equipment is available.”

1 Like

id be interested in alcohol, but i have a sealed enclosure

fixture accidents scare me, i’m only human :slight_smile:

What grade of ethanol are you using? I assume it’s not the kind you can drink, so what is it denatured with, and is it being ventilated in a way that you don’t breathe the fumes? The common denaturants are methanol (wood alcohol) or isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), neither of which would be good to be breathing.

I want to make one with actuators that auto open it. That would be cool!

1 Like

Ooooh man. I hadn’t thought of that.

1 Like

Outstanding.

Dan, this work bench looks amazing and very rugged to withstand the machine. What is your overall bench top measurements. From what I have been looking at and what you have done I intend to just have the work surface be just for the machine. Then run all wires and controller another location. Either side or bottom. I was thinking 4 foot by 4 foot, I intend to do a fold up work bench so not trying to go much bigger than what is necessary. Please let me know, great job.

Hey guys! Just purchased my X Carve and while waiting patiently for it to arrive I figured I would start on the table.

Probably a little heavier duty than needed but I figured I would make it strong as possible. I still have some more additions I’m going to make once I get the machine and setup.

5 Likes