X carving in a pocket

@RichardWalker The workflow Steve provided is a more logical one, but the problem still seems that your V-Carve is not reaching your material (or not cutting deep enough). My understanding is that you’e already run the pocket operations (and cutouts?), and you just need to carve the detail. Is that correct?
If so, I think there is an issue with your Z zeroing procedure.

1 Like

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I was certain that I had set my Z axis zero properly but that turned out to be the issue. Project is carving nicely now.

I did this just over a year ago, had to screw the coasters into a routed out pocket. Here’s a vid of how I made a few of them… https://youtu.be/reULNjA4FcY

What bit did you use to cut the recess for the inside bottom of the coaster looked like 1/2"?? Nice project and video

For the top (cup side):

• I used either a 12mm (½") or 16mm (5/8") straight cut router bit to get the bulk out, then an 1/8" ballnose end mill to tidy it up.

For bottom (side touching table):

• I used an 1/8" ballnose end mill.

I would have thought a 1/2" bit would be to much for the X carve. I will definitely try it. What was your settings for depth and speed per pass? Thanks!

@SteveMoloney Whatever the default settings Easel spat out at me :sweat_smile: