XC Pro Static Problems

I have been having issues with static on my dust collection hose prematurely ending my carve jobs. The job will just stop dead in its tracks.
So I was told to ground the DC hose. I ran a screw through the dust collection shoe (see pic) and then spiraled the ground cable around the DC hose for about 5 feet, then ran the end of the cable to a ground plug in one of the 120V outlets near my machine.
The problem is still happening.
Any ideas? runs fine without the DC running so I am confident it is a static related issue.
Thanks for any advice.

Well that looks great! but you start grounding at the dust collection end instead at the XCP end,

See the static charge is coming from your dust collection system, get some 12gauge raw copper (maybe 5 ft of solid) coil it around the hose at a mid-point and then down to a screw or something on your dust collection system. then to your grounding point. the best is a strap on an electrical conduit a copper water line that has been cleaned of paint and /or rust.

The braid touching the hose should be adequate but you could add screw(s) into the hose as well instead of the shoe only. . .
& the easy way to reduce static is to not use corrugated tubing if possible… replacing with straight pipe wherever possible will reduce the turbulence and the static generated from the turbulent air.

(Not an XCP) Personally I use a 2hp dust collector with a 4" pipe from the DC to the CNC and I use a metal foil ducting hose as the last stretch from to the CNC dust shoe and that is grounded to the CNC frame which i grounded to AC Earth Ground and I’ve never had a static issue.

Thank you both. I ran a short section from the screw on the shoe up to the spindle housing.
Then on the other end I ran it to the metal tub of my vacuum, and then to the wall outlet ground plug.
I checked continuity between all points and they are all connected.
(CNC frame, screw in shoe, metal tub of vacuum, and wall outlet)
The problem still happens. Not as often as it was, but it is still happening.
I will try both of your suggestions, something HAS to work!
Note, the cable I am using is not copper, it is braided metal like you would use to hang a picture, could that make a difference? As I said, there is continuity between all points.
Thanks again!
Joe-

I’m pretty new to the CNC part, so this may be a dumb question, but how do you know it’s a static discharge prematurely ending the job?

Grounding to a wall outlet ground plug is potentially dangerous (if the wire were to come loose, and connect to the hot prong)… and very possibly ineffective if it’s an old house / shop without adequate grounding.

You may find this article useful :

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/shop/articles_221.shtml#what

There is a very simple way to secure a grounding wire to any outlet or light switch for that matter, use the cover plate screw. The cover plate screw is durectly theeaded into the hohsin of the switch or outlet and is a valid ground to use for static dissipation :+1: no risk of the wire going into another aocket with that. If you want to rake it a step further, use a ring lug

1 Like

Good call! I was imagining a bare wire spun around the ground prong.

this is the proper way of gounding

That is how one would ground internally to the receptacle box (if it is metal with conduit or metal and grounded). Each receptacle should have its ground connection connected to the circuit’s ground wire. This, as @SethCNC mentioned, should provide a path to ground for the screw(s) that hold the face covering on.

The images you provided, are showing grounding options for components within the electrical outlet box. One should NEVER run a copper wire out from a receptacle to provide a grounding path.

Static dissipation to ground through the receptacle cover screw is perfectly fine, but grounding some type of component for it traditional ground is not appropriate.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.