XCarve Overshoots to the Left

This problem is a little hard to describe, but as I am carving my design starts to shift to the left. After the carve is finished the router returns to home but is shifted to the left. Obviously this is a problem with the X-axis. I assume that there is some kind of resistance as the gantry moves to the right. So the XCarve thinks that it moves x mm to the right but it really only moves x-3 mm to the right.

What I have done so far:
-Tightened all set screws
-Re-calibrated V-wheels
-Took off the belt, turned off power and moved the carriage around to feel for resistance (did not feel any resistance)

Also,
One of the set screws on the pulley keeps coming unscrewed. Only one though.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

David Florian

Definitely get some loctite for your fasteners. You are losing steps to the right. Keep adjusting and you will get there. Search this forum for setup videos. Phil has a bunch.

1 Like

What should I keep adjusting? And I will use some locktite. I’m confused on how I can only be losing steps in one directions.

Thanks

Once you get it dialed in, it will take very little maintenance other than keeping the machine clean.

Almost all of us have gone through that stage of “I’ve checked everything”.

If you have a nice long ruler or a yardstick, clamp that to the board and see how much you are losing. Next, cut a circle and see if it is round or oval. Oval is a tell-tale sign of losing steps.

1 Like

I have had my Xcarve for over a year now and I have watched many maintenance videos and I believe everything is dialed in, but I am still having this problem. If I carve a circle it’s elongated in the x directions.

By how much? Can you post a picture?

Did you tighten or replace any belts recently? You may want to or need to adjust your steps per inch. It only take about 10 minutes to do your X and Y.

If your pulley is slipping and your Allen nut is loose then you can also get a hex bolt and some lock-tight to ensure that it stays tight, (better grip on the bolt when torqued down). Make sure your shaft on the motor has a flat spot and align the bolt so that it seats on that flat spot. I have not needed to use bolts but several have and they state it works well.

Edit: If I was having an Allen screw coming loose and replaced it with a hex head bolt I would also take a file to the bottom of the bolt to ensure good contact with the flat spot (most all bolts are not flat on the bottom), just as a measure to ensure proper contact.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I used lock-tight and made sure the set screws were sitting on the flat part of the shaft. A short carve turned out perfectly. I am about to try a 4 hour carve.