XCarve stops randomly

Hello everyone,
I have the dreaded random stopping mid project, at different points. Sometimes at 20% complete others at 80%.
I am using picsender to send the code ( I was getting the same error with UGS) on windows 7
My troubleshooting has cause me to do the following:
1.adjusted the POTS for the motors
2. bought a desktop (instead of the laptop)
3. set the power management to maximum performance and adjusted everything to stay on, hardrive, monitor and usb ports.
4. I have double checked the USB root hub via the device manager to make sure under the power management tap they are unchecked so the computer cannot turn them off.
5. I have a dewalt 611 and a dust collection, I have air cut the project with both off and I still get the error

I am at the end of ideas. If anybody has any good suggestions I would love to hear them

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count, Int32 timeout)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Write(String text)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.WriteLine(String text)
at "?(VUa>-'0iv^t/w3SAB?].#.???(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

PicSender
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PicSender/PicSender.exe

LtHPxQeqpRKtdtOxJzjyTWrmajTo
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PicSender/PicSender.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8686 (QFE.050727-8600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5495 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I also made sure all connections where tight.

have you swapped out usb cables?

Maybe it is related with Random USB connection loss. Power spikes ? try powering the arduino from a laptop using batteries

Probably not the same problem but it could be. I just this moment posted something about random loss of USB connections. Mine is being caused by power spikes. If I turn on or off my Dewalt or dust collection system (could be anything with a motor) I often lose USB connection. In Easel I don’t get any indication that the connection is lost other than a quick greying out of the Carve button and then the computer will connect back up in a few seconds. I do get some exceptions with PicSender.

I switched over to a desktop.

No I haven’t tried another USB cable. It’s worth a shot I’ll let you know

1 Like

Do you only get the issue when you turn on and off the dust collection and the router?. I get the problem while everything is already running. I have a dedicated 15 amp circuit just for the X carve dust collection and router. I will try and replicate it though like talking on and off the router and dust collection at the same time to exaggerate the amp draw. I’ll let you know thank you

Yeah the only reason I mentioned it was it’s always possible another compressor or something could be cycling causing a power spike. Probably not the same problem but you never know.

Do you have the pickup hose to your dust collector grounded (static discharge may be the problem)?

I have a grounded via the Dust Deputy that I’m using. Would you recommend better way? I just thought about slicing into the ground wire at the wall router? Is that too crazy?

That’s a good suggestion Larry. But I have gotten the same error while dust collection and router were off.

1 Like

USB cable issue or intermittent problem with your UNO? Brownout from an air compressor or air conditioner coming on causing the USB port to drop out? We had that issue with our Shapeoko 2 PC when the air compressor came on for the laser’s air assist. We resolved it with a APC UPS battery backup.

So you connected the x-carve the router and the computer running the software that sends the code all to the UPS? I do live in Las Vegas and the AC is on. So it might be a good idea. Thank you

Don’t connect the router to the UPS. It draws about 7 amps and doesn’t need to be conditioned. It’s actually something you are trying to isolate from the XCarve/computer.

So just the computer sending the code, power supply for the xcarve will be connected to the UPS? I’ll try it out. And report back.

I should say that I was thinking about the UPS as a power conditioning system, not as a battery backup. If the router is not hooked up it will shut down and will ruin the cut with a power outage or even brief hiccup. But it does use a lot of current and wouldn’t last very long with a consumer UPS. So I guess it’s how you want to run it.

Just the PC. The USB port would drop out when the compressor came on and it would stop streaming the gcode. PicSender would come up with that error because it lost communication with the UNO’s Com Port.

1 Like

I had to move my dust collector to a different circuit because of this. It would interior the cut and then reconnect, in bad positions and break bits and generally scare me

I have the dust collector which is a Ridgid shop vac with a Dust Deputy on a separate circuit.

I have an outlet that is on its own Circuit by itself in the garage. That powers the computer the power source for the X carve and the router. I’m looking into a UPS