Xcarve Upgrade advice...now that Xmas is over..slow time means fine tuning the shop

It mainly applies to the Arduino at this point.

Soft limits catch an error before it happens, hard limits reduce the damage when an error has already occurred.

On the Arduino, with soft limits, once homing is complete the Arduino ignores the switches, so false triggers don’t matter anymore.

With hard limits false triggers will cause an alarm, which aborts the carve.

Be careful tying two outputs together. With the appropriate design it can work, but if you don’t have a good design then one output goes high and the other goes low you can get a short circuit from power to ground which can fry the switch/port, and maybe the power supply.

1 Like

Thanks LarryM, I will keep that in mind and do further research. Thanks for pointing this out.

The shielding refers to how the proximity switch works. A shielded switch will focus its energy toward one end (like a flashlights light). A unshielded proximity switch radiates its energy more in a circle pattern (less control over what trips it).

Most will be custom made. TOS-link CNC has a working prototype. Here is a video about it. You only need one transmitter which then feeds all axis receivers.

Transmitter can be seen here;

http://www.hy1688.com/SWITCH/DC%20JACK%20HOME/Optical_File/DLT1120A.pdf

Receiver can be seen here;

http://www.hy1688.com/SWITCH/DC%20JACK%20HOME/Optical_File/DLR1120.pdf

1 Like

This is awesome info,

Yes I have both the 1/8th and 1/4 precision collet, My 1/4" has some milling issues, It’s a pain the ■■■ to remove bits from it My 1/8" is fine and has no issues, I’ve been meaning to ask Inventables if this is normal for that collet.

I was indeed planning on buying the Cnc4newbie Z and I’m currently using the D611 for my spindle.

I have already cut myself end plates in prep for 1800 mm upgrade, as you said I might as well upgrade my depth of cut while the machine is apart, my plan was get the CN4newbie and the 1800MM rails and all hardware to complete the upgrades, then do all of it at the same time. take the machine out of commission for a one time shot instead over and over again.

I’ve googled rotary axis…it looks like a CNC lathe assembly…I assume this is incorrect…I’ve been a woodworker for years but only recently got into CNC world…so there are still things I am Daft in knowledge of.

Rotary axis turns your CNC into a CNC Lathe. The information was not incorrect.

1 Like

Another add on would be air assist / Mist/Flood.

The air assist will work great to help blow the dust out of the channels. It is the same attachment as a Mist/Flood just without the lubricant. I would almost recommend one unit for lubricant and a second just for the air assist. Oil and Finish don’t mix. Just takes one drop of oil to mess things up.

A simple pneumatic solenoid can be wired up to be activated by Gcode or manually. The solenoid can source its air from just about any type of air compressor.

1 Like

Though I’m a little behind the times on this discussion. Check out these Limit and Homing Switches, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqU_5wZAX3s as they’re not mechanical in any way which leaves nothing to fail at that unfortunate time.

1 Like

Mechanical things are not the only things that fail.

Having said that, they are nice switches.

The switches that I provided a link to above also do not have any mechanical parts.

This video also shows switches/sensors on both sides of each axis like I plan on doing. However I am unfamiliar with the TinyG Controller snd its connections and I could not verify how these where wired to it with his circuit boards. Wether each sensor has its own input or if they were ran in parallel

Define “fail”. Temperature can influence these switches on the residual offset, and also on their voltage related sensitivities. They are priced much more reasonable than the ones I saw at Hind Technology though.

Each has its own input. You can go up to 8

So the TinyG has 8 inputs and these sensors are taking up 6 of those inputs?

No, he is using a 8 input interface, which then plugs into the TinyG.

It looks as if two plugs are not being used though.

Is the interface unit an accessory option for the TinyG?

How many inputs does the TinyG actually have?

Correct, he is using 6 of the 8 inputs. He made the interface.