Y axis binding or not moving [Resolved]

i adjusted the Y axis voltage one notch and all seems well so far. thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Your welcome! Glad you got it fixed!

1 Like

Z axis is set to 1.25Aā€¦no issues so far, just getting warmer than my other motorsmā€¦do you think i can get away with cranking the amps down? Not sure how much work itā€™s downing compared to the othersā€¦also had to adjust up my y-axis motors amps due to missing steps

idk but iā€™m thinking about getting some tiny heat sinks like i got for my raspberry pi an slapping them on my g-shield to help with heat dissipation. figured it canā€™t hurt.

Bingo! That was it! Thank you so much. I have been fighting this for weeks, and it turns out that this was my problem also.

Glad to hear you got it figured out!!

hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for documenting this! I was having the same issues and it was really frustrating. Adjusted the potentiometer and no more issues.

New user here, just had this problem, solved it the same way.
Thanks

Wow thats awsome that solved my issue as well this is should be in the instructions or the tune up section because its so common.
Thanks .

Yeah, this seems to be such a frequent issue, I wonder if it should be in the instructions, or maybe it should be increased before being shipped out?

2 Likes

Wondering if I should turn mine up before my first setup with Easel. X Carve is built so I am ready for setup.

iā€™d try jogging the Axis multiple inches at a time as a test. if its not broken donā€™t fix it. but if you do make the adjustment only move it one unit at a time (notches on the dial)

probably wouldnā€™t HURT it but not everyone has issues just saying :smile:

Can confirm all my binding issues were solved when I did this, definitely seems to be a common issue.

This is a great topic. This solved my issues. Everything was aligned, square, and had good contact with the rails. Adjusting the pot did the trick. Thanksā€¦

2 Likes

This was amazingly help. It took me too long to find it. :grinning:

Bingo! This solved my problem as well. Thanks for posting both issue and solution. Great forum.

This is a common problem with the Y axis because itā€™s one driver chip powering two motors, instead of one, and should definitely be a part of calibration/tuning instructions, or even they should just crank up the pot a few clicks before shipping the gshield out with the machine kits. What Iā€™m curious about is adjusting all of the axes properly. Should they all be turned down and then slowly turned up one by one until they have no problems rapiding at any speed? Iā€™m sure the X axis is in the middle, and the Y uses more than X and Z, and Z uses the least of them all (being geared down via linear screw). I wouldnā€™t want there to be more power going through the drivers and motors than is necessary, seems like asking for trouble down the road.

EDIT: Hereā€™s a good video depicting under/over powered stepper behavior https://youtu.be/7miFHMOZ1ZE

Genius! I was wracking my brain trying to figure that out. Lesson learned; never stray too far from the forum if you have a problem, itā€™s likely someone has experienced the same thing, solve it themselves or a forum member has offered sage advice. Thank you Thomas and Charley!

1 Like

Hey everyone,
Iā€™m a newbie as well just trying to wrap my head around normal behavior and operation of this beautiful machine and its components. It can be upsetting when the design you worked so hard on gets fudged mid milling.
It may seem daunting at first when you look at the machine and wonder what went wrong but the best way to combat that feeling of insecure wonderment is to learn a little about every component.
Read up on the arduino, read up on stepper motors and donā€™t wait till something goes wrong to hit the forums. What a great group people sharing anf trouble shooting.
Iā€™ve never worked on or even seen stepper motors b4 the Xcarve but HERES A GRAT VIDEO to get you more acquainted. http://youtu.be/bItYRMLGoVc
Itā€™s easier to trouble shoot when you know how itā€™s supposed to work. Happy carving.

Just here to acknowledge adjusting the potentiometer corrected my problem which was likely the same as the original poster!

Glad I found this quickly, I was able to resolve it in moments and will now go to bed in peace. Iā€™ve spent the last two nights 5-6 hours or more each and wanted to rest knowing all was well!