Yesterday I was remminded why I quit using Easel. Forced to move to HTTPS version

It’s possible, don’t remember but I just went to the page it refers to and it says SSL is enabled so I guess I must have.

Hmmm, I did some carving last night and I had to complete re-setup my entire easel machine profile. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but I was curious. I guess I now know why - so odd that a simple change to https would cause important machine preferences to be lost. I think @Zach_Kaplan for @JessieFritz should do some explaining. (professional software developer here - changing from port 80 to 443 should have no impact on settings, unless you are storing the settings in a cookie tied to port 80 or some other persistent storage.)

-tom

1 Like

Hi @TheGuru - I talked to someone on our team about your response!

On our end it looks like you have not yet had your account migrated to SSL. If this is the case, then most likely your settings issue was due to the other change I mentioned earlier up on this thread:

“Another change we made separately was to detect when someone tries to start a carve without these settings being present in the browser’s storage and prompt them to run through the setup walkthrough. This change was put in place because users sometimes don’t realize when their browser storage gets erased, which can lead to unexpected results in the carve walkthrough.”

If you have any other questions or concerns, let me know otherwise our Customer Success team is always willing to help! :slight_smile:

Hello @JessieFritz - while anything is possible, I’ve been using the same computer for a while, and have not cleared my cache, so all my settings should have been intact. Now I’m even more curious. I did a couple carves last might without problem, but if I’m facing another “reset” then I would like to know.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

To be clear, we didn’t do anything on our end to reset or clear your settings. We just added an alert if your settings are not present before you begin the carve walkthrough. Your settings could have been cleared at any point since you last went through setup, and prior to this change you would not have been notified of that.

The SSL transition, which has not gotten to your account yet, is designed to migrate your settings automatically for you as described above: