Z axis homing/limit switch not working properly

Sorry, I was not clear with my answer, I was sending the G-code from Vcarve to Easel first, and using Easel to send to the Xcarve, I will try using Picsender instead, can I use the Z- probe I got from Inventables in Picsender, I have got used to using a probe now, what probe do you use

Larry can you explain your concern with using Easel to send code?
I have been using it to send Vectric code for over a year now and m very happy with it.
I do wish it had macro options but with stable internet it has worked well for me.

It you are happy with your workflow and don’t have any issue then stick with it

Do UGS accept arcs?

I was of the understanding that it was GRBL that did not do arcs? That is why you have to use a specific PP from CAM software. I thought I saw a GRBL setting for the segments lengths (very small).

GRBL does arcs. I use it on my Vcarve post processor quite often. I believe that there might be limitations on arcs due to GRBL but they are supported.

1 Like

Grbl implements arcs.

Easel does not implement arcs, and will also not allow arcs when being used as a G-code sender.

1 Like

I thought there was something I read that some particular parameters of arcs cause problems.

Again, I know they work because I use them in my Gcode.

Below is copy ftom Github and what i was refering to. Does this not say that GRBL converts arcs to lines?
12 – Arc tolerance, mm
Grbl renders G2/G3 circles, arcs, and helices by subdividing them into teeny tiny lines, such that the arc tracing accuracy is never below this value. You will probably never need to adjust this setting, since 0.002mm is well below the accuracy of most all CNC machines. But if you find that your circles are too crude or arc tracing is performing slowly, adjust this setting. Lower values give higher precision but may lead to performance issues by overloading Grbl with too many tiny lines. Alternately, higher values traces to a lower precision, but can speed up arc performance since Grbl has fewer lines to deal with.

For the curious, arc tolerance is defined as the maximum perpendicular distance from a line segment with its end points lying on the arc, aka a chord. With some basic geometry, we solve for the length of the line segments to trace the arc that satisfies this setting. Modeling arcs in this way is great, because the arc line segments automatically adjust and scale with length to ensure optimum arc tracing performance, while never losing accuracy.

1 Like

@MarkA.Bachman You are correct that GRBL handles arcs by generating straight segments, but GRBL accepts the gcode for arcs (G2, G3) generated by many cam packages. Easel not only does not generate gcode for arcs, but it won’t accept them if gcode is imported.

This might help understand what grbl does with arc (G2/G3).

Thanks Neil and Larry for the explanations.