Z axis is sticking

What did I literally just say…

For the fifth time, mine are NOT Allen. Great for you if yours are.

Thanks for explaining Angus.

Pulley Screw

sure looks like a small hex from a blown up image you posted @AngelDougherty

i’d double check your allen set. may have some SAE mixed in with your metrics

2 Likes

You’re talking about the module that contains a TB6600.

I’m talking about the chip that is inside that module, assuming that we are talking about the X-controller and setting of the pots.

1 Like

1 Like

It would be in your best interest to get the right tool for the fastener.

The fastener appears to be the correct (stock) hex grub screw for a 1.5mm allen key.
A metric 1.5mm allen key should fit that screw fine. If you have a set of calipers the allen key will measure 1.45mm across the flats.

A 1/16" allen key is fairly close in size and could easily be mixed into your metric set. It would measure around 1.55mm across the flats (i.e. wouldn’t fit - but look size appropriate)

Also, the hex on the screw could be damaged (either defective or from sticking eyeglass tools in it) and even the appropriate tool (1.5mm allen key) will no longer fit in the stripped head.

Best solution as others have mentioned is that you swap out the screw with a socket/cap head screw.

Thank you!

I obviously only used the eyeglass screwdriver after the 1.5mm didn’t work and when I searched for that issue I read to use an eyeglass driver. I will definitely be replacing those things. On a side note, I have poor vision especially in low light, but I tried every 1.5mm I could find. Lol. Star, hex, whatever. Nothing turned those screws

this?

This:

cap_screw

1 Like

This top nut keeps coming loose too and I don’t see a way of tightening it as the whole thing spins.

I don’t see a way of tightening it as the whole thing spins.

while you have your allen key in one of the set screws, brace it against the z upstop nut or the top of the router to prevent from the z-axis shaft from spinning.

These are the screws folks are referring to. These are probably longer than they have to be.

Whoops. Sorry @AngusMcleod I saw you posted a stock image higher up.

Make sure you check these screws. When your Z-nut is causing this much resistance, you’re going to stress these screws, and they will loosen.

Weak sauce Larry - the ports on the outside of the box mean nothing. It’s what’s inside the box that counts…

@Phantomm the file 32039_Rev_E.pdf shows the number of drivers in the guts of the XController.

1 Like

Did you use the lubrication that came with the ACME screw? You may have a defective Delrin nut or you may have some plastic pieces stuck in the threads of the ACME screw. Sometimes these nuts and the ACME screws just don’t marry to one another well and in a lot of cases the screw seems to want to rethread the Delrin for some reason. Unscrew the Delrin from the ACME screw and check for any loose plastic in the threads of both of the nut and screw. Best Wishes. :slight_smile:

When one is typing a message there is no clue what is going on, on the other side of the conversation. Some people need more hand holding than others. I try the simple approach first and if that doesn’t work there are ways to expand the description.

Thank you guys. The flat head screw was my mistake. I’ll replace again with the cap ones. It is working a lot better but the tightness on the plastic piece is still an issue. I’m gonna take it apart and run it through a few times. See if I can loosen it. I hate having to t sake it apart. The belt was a royal pain… but it is what it is.

I used to jam an appropriately sized Allen key behind the motor then tighten it in place.

no worries Larry. I was just ribbing ya.

2 Likes

Pretty old thread, but I read the title and I had exactly this same issue with my X-carve. I don’t see the problem I had in your solutions. My lead-screw had gotten slightly bent so it would cause these Z-step skips. I was able to adjust things to make it semi-functional as it appears you have too, but to completely get rid of the issue, i had to buy a new lead-screw and delrin nut.