Z axis not retracting sometimes

Have you been able to repeat the bug or has it been inconsistent?

So far Iā€™ve only had it happen that one time.

Did you carve the file that had the issue more than once?

I carved the exact same run 2 times and only one of the times had the issue. I carved the same file with some changes 2 more times and didnā€™t have the issue again.

Is it possible that at the end of that one-time, the bit may have slipped, correct?

That was my first thought since when using the dremel spindel, I had the bit come loose several times. But I checked and the bit was still secure and right where it should be. I really love the ER11 collet system, it works great.

1 Like

Just curious. Did the Z move get completely skipped or did it move part way up before traversing? Secondly, were you there when the problem occurred? If so, did the move sound normal?

1 Like

The z did not retract at all. When the end mill started digging through a half inch of pine at fast traverse speed, it did not sound at all normal (scared the crap out of me). It took me a couple of seconds to recover and hit the estop.

1 Like

It may not be the bit and I agree the ER11 system is pretty darn good. I take a permanent marker and draw a thin band on my bits and match up the line when I install bits so I can barely see the line. Then if the line disappears or a space appears between the ER11 collet and the bit I can see itā€¦ I have been amazed just how often this occurs even with all care taken. It seems the longer jobs are prone to this very often, so much so I occasionally pause a job and re-tighten. I think itā€™s a combination of heat, humidity and oil from the wood. Recently I started scuffing my bit shafts sanding lightly with 320 grit paper. It has really helped. I only share this with you because I have experienced the depressed anger associated with watching a long job end this way. Cheers PS. Also dust and chips in the groove could contribute.

1 Like

Thanks Don, that is a good tip. I have been a bit reluctant to test what happens when the pause button is pressed. Good to know that is a workable option.

I sprayed some dry PTFE on the ACME rod and it works great, I thought it was smooth before but now it is even better.

Plus it is great for squeaky/sticky doors. Great suggestion.

I think Iā€™m having the same problem. It seems that the longer the cut (or alternatively, how long Iā€™ve been using the machine) the more likely this problem (z axis drop + not retracting) happens.

Iā€™ve had three cuts so far that ā€œcompletedā€ but then tried to plow through material due to the z axis not retracting. Once this happens and I stop the run and move the machine with Easel manually, the Z-axis motor makes an unusual whirring noise and rarely is able to actually move the z-axis (I ensured all the set screws were tight and I have threadlocker on the way).

Is it possible that the spindleā€™s heat is affecting the delrin nut somehow?
I have a threaded rod instead of the ACME rod, so Iā€™ll also try lubricating that.

Can you share your file? Iā€™d love to run it on our machine to see if I can replicate the error and determine if it is in the same spot.

Do you have a fan?

Sure, hereā€™s one of the cuts where I had this problem: gear

That being said, I doubt this is a problem anywhere else but my setup. A few more notes:
I think I was doing .08 in/pass when I was cutting that file, in .350in plywood. When I just did a cut a bit ago in .250in poplar, it was doing the .28 in/pass default. I left it alone for a few minutes with the power supply turned off, and when I came back the z-axis was working just fine. I also need to desperately go back and re-tension the y axis belt(s)ā€¦ may be unrelated to this problem.

Itā€™s also possible the nuts on the threaded rod arenā€™t set up quite optimally, I might go back and make sure thereā€™s no wiggle between them.

Hey Zach -
I used loctite on both gears for the threaded rod and the z-axis stepper, but about ~12 minutes into this cut I ran into the z-axis issue again. Hereā€™s the issue on video right after the problem occurred (the bit plunged way too far and I paused the cut in easel).

I donā€™t have a fan blowing on the stepper or the spindle.

Is it possible the v-wheels are too snug on the z-axis?

Hi @TheodoreHoff I am really sorry this happened. It is possible that the wheels were too tight on the Z and it skipped a step but Iā€™m skeptical this is the case since it has happened to more than one person.

We ran a test Friday where we heated the Delrin nut and ran the machine hard for hours. We were not able to get it to skip a step.

The fact that you didnā€™t have a fan on the gshield is interesting because I have a hypothesis that if the stepper driver is over heating. When the driver over heats I think it is skipping. I canā€™t prove it yet and havenā€™t been able to repeat it. The issue is happening intermittently.

The fact that you donā€™t have a fan would support this hypothesis.

Some questions:

1. Are you able to repeat the error?
  2. What software did you use to generate the g code and send it to the machine?

Oops, Iā€™m sorry - I do have a fan on the gshield running full blastā€¦ but now that I look at it, itā€™s blowing out, not in! I flipped it around but the same thing happened.

As far as the questions go, this happens every cut so far (5 or so?) that runs over 12-15 minutes. Iā€™m using easel for both the g-code generation and sending it to the x-carve.

Thanks for taking a look Zach - you guys are awesome (running tests just for me! good to know the delrin nut can handle the heat). Iā€™m going to rebuild the z-axis everything and triple check the wiring, then try again.

That is interesting Zach, when I had the problem with the Z not retracting my fan was removed from the case.

Iā€™m also having issues with my Z-axis right now. I will move fine for the most part in the lower end of the spectrum but when I try to raise the Z-axis more than about half way I get a lot of skipping. Iā€™ve also had an issue with the Z-axis not trying to retract after I stopped the carve. This caused the rapid move home to nearly snap the bit but instead it just got stuck.

I ran the Delrin nut through the rod about 30 times with a power drill before I put it on. Could it need more? My z-axis v-wheels are extremely loose because it seems like anything every remotely tight causes it to seize movement on the z-axis.

Anyone know whatā€™s going on with this?

Mine did that, and, I just needed to adjust the current pot. Itā€™s still sticky towards the top, but, Iā€™ve not needed to go that high yet. Inventables sent me a new nut and threaded rod just in case.