Z axis problem

I have an x-carve 1000mm. using Chilipeppr. Carved a couple things last week, did great. now today, loaded a g-code, ran it and it won’t actually carve. the X,Y axes work fine. I can watch it go through the motions all the way through the program. The Z axis though doesn’t actually touch the material. It goes up and down fine. I’ve checked my material thickness (.5"). I’ve checked my starting location (left corner, front, top). Not sure what is up.

Can anyone help?

Scott

Did you run Z zero adjustment after homing your machine.? there are helpful posts if you put “Z zero” to search engine(Top right corner magnifying glass)

I hit “Zero Out” if that’s what you mean.

I even changed the depth of my material to 3/8" and it still hovers over material and won’t carve.

Like I said, you better search this forum. After you home your machine, you must lower your bit to material surface, insert small paper underneath, until catches. That is your Z zero. You have to tell machine to reset Z zero.

1 Like

the bit is less than a hair off the material. it won’t carve. it goes through the motions on X and Y. the bit never touches the material.
State Idle
Machine Coords (mm) X:0.000 Y:0.000 Z:0.000
Units Millimetres Feedrate 0.00
Distance Absolute Motion Rapid
WCS G54 Plane XY Plane
Coolant Off Spindle Off
SPJS Queue 0 (These parameters may not update in real time)

The depth of cut is 1/8" v-bit.

Still can’t carve. bit will not touch material. searched and searched for “z Zero”. no joy. I’m about over this. Been trying to get this to work all day. I can create new toolpaths with the depth of cut at .5" and it still won’t touch the material. the machine is at zero. the bit is at zero.does anyone know what is happening here?

the bit is less than a hair off the material. it won’t carve. it goes through the motions on X and Y. the bit never touches the material.
State Idle
Machine Coords (mm) X:0.000 Y:0.000 Z:0.000
Units Millimetres Feedrate 0.00
Distance Absolute Motion Rapid
WCS G54 Plane XY Plane
Coolant Off Spindle Off
SPJS Queue 0 (These parameters may not update in real time)

The depth of cut is 1/8" v-bit.

try negative on Z to cut…

Scott, could you please give us a little bit info, like which software you’re drawing and generating G-Code, which G-Code sender you’re using, what type of machine and spindle you have.
Thanks.

I run a macbook pro. i use Oracle to emulate Windows to run VCarve Pro. Then I’m using Chilipeppr to send to XCarve 1000mm. Spindle is the ACME.

I am wondering if it might be in how VCarve is coding a v-bit.

Thanks for responding
Scott

This is the screen to prepare V-Carve for Vcarve operation.
Check to see if you have same numbers matching.
Also you must have X_Carve post processor selection when you’re saving your GCode as you see on second picture.
If still not touching the surface, you can add start depth to it.
Still not touching, this time you have to go over your spindle installation (I don’t know what type spindle you have 24V-Dewalt etc), maybe it’s not extracting down enough.

I do have a start depth of 0.0. I have a safe Z as .2.
Also, I do have a DeWalt router. When I have been troubleshooting, I have changed my flat depth from 1/8" to 1/2" and it still doesn’t touch. I am just not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’ll try adding a start depth and see what happens

Thanks again
Scott

If you increase Flat Depth, you just raised your bit more. 0 Flat depth is full depth, when you increase that number bit raises more. Start Depth you can increase to lower your bit.

ok then. i guess i didn’t understand that. so, does that mean the depth of cut is determined in the bit profile? in cutting parameters?

For the Vbit yes.

Hello
Have you solved the problem I have the same problem with Z Axis
Can you also help for me

Hi there, do you happen to have a Post Nov 2021 Xcarve? this is a very common issue with the new Z axis and the way the instructions and photo show the height of the Zaxis as it mounts onto the gantry…
Unfortunately the photos show it mounted about 1" higher than it should be at for 3/4" stock and standard length bits. and the Inventables solution to help desk calls about this same issue, was to include this note in the manual…