Z axis raises to high

Need help. Using Easel Pro, after I set my zero and hit raise bit, the z raises way to high. Most of the time raises 1/2 inch to high, some times 2 inches, one time it went to the homing switch Once I confirm the spindle is on and hit carve, it attempts to carve above my material. I have tried both homing the machine and then setting my zero, and unlocking without homing. Neither changed my results. Restarted my computer, no help. Setup my machine again, and followed some instructions from tbdcnc to calibrate my machine (they were only for X and Y). None of this helps.

Which Z-Axis are you using?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

@NicholasWright I definitely seems like you have a calibration problem on the z axis. I have had my computer not save the settings and loose calibration. Once calibrated corrected, write down all the numbers in the event that it happens again. Much quicker to get back to carving.

The calibration settings should be saved in the controller as they are part of GRBL. That is, if you are using a GRBL based controller.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

i am currently having the same problem with my 3018 pro cnc. It was working just fine 2 days ago and not today I got to set the home position before starting to carve and the click raise bit and it will raise the 1/2’ or more. Tried to rest the cnc and restarted computer and close all easel windows and nothing is working.

Thanks all. Not real sure what fixed it, but I am up and running again. It may have been a firmware issue.