Ok I’ve had my machine 750x750 stock no upgrades for a couple years with no issues then today I did a carve in easel It seems when it gets in the top right corner the depth goes shallow. I think it’s mechanical because I ran it 2x with the same result on both higher up on the board. I placed a level on my board and it seems level and not enough for it to just not cut. I’m cutting cabinet grade plywood with a 90deg v-bit
Have you checked the Z-Axis pulley set screw?
Yes it’s tight
Maybe place the machine in the opposite corner and measure the distance to the waste-board. Without moving the Z-Axis, move the machine to the troubled corner and measure the distance to the waste-board.
Also, could it be the material that is not exactly true to dimension across it?
If the distances are the same and the material checks out then you are likely missing a step, but that sure looks like something is not true to the Z-Axis (i.e. the material is not true across its breadth or the waste-board is not true with the Z-Axis) … That is unless you have a rail that is loose or something like that on the troubled corner.
Thanks Brandon I’ll try that in the morning.
Most likely slight height difference across the wasteboard AND/OR variations of material thickness.
Another component may aswell be what Brandon mention.
Such carvings like this one is very telling of height deviations.
Ok after playing with it. I have realized my front left corner is high spotted. Going down towards the back and right side. I’ve adjusted and gotten it up a little but its still definitely a noticeable gap to me. My OCD says .04 inches at the very back is to much from front to back. I’m thinking If I resurface that will take that out. What do you all think?
Resurfacing the spoilboard with the X-Carve itself should give you a spoilboard that is true to your machine’s Z-Axis and is ideally what you want.
It is normal, it is hard to have a completely leveled machine, not at the X-Carve price range and cut area. Resurfacing the wasteboard might help, but the true solution is something like:
I have used it to generate “adjusted G-Codes” that adapt to the surface.
@EthanKinney pointed me to this software, and it is awesome! I had to cut a thin sheet of aluminium and I was getting the same problems you experience with that carve.
Totally agree with @eried, I use OpenCNCPilot for every carve I do.
Thanks everyone for the helpful ideas. I went ahead and resurfaced and it worked perfectly. Ended up on taking .05in off.
thanks a lot for updating. taking in consideration that i have a similar problem with my food recipes project, will try doing the same.
hopefully it would work tomorrow.