Z probe or limit switches not working at all

Hey Mike,

I’m having the same exact issue as you did with the z probe and the homing switches, went through all the tests and still wont work, I wired it the exactly as the instructions showed, but as you said it was backwards for you. Is it possible to send pictures of the homing switch wiring and maybe how you rewired your z probe?

@ShaneMeyer if you are still running into issues feel free to reach out to help@inventables.com!

Definitely a newbie. When I go to setup my X-Carve, and it goes to check the Z Axis, the spindle (router) goes all the way to the top and then seems to struggle like it wants to move up further and I have to shut it off. I have the Z-probe installed with the wires in the correct position per the instructions. Where do I set the GRBL settings? This is all very new to me after spending weeks assembling the machine. If I need to post Pics or Video I can do that. I just want to get it running, please!

You switch do not register.

Open Easel and Machine Inspector (CTRL+SHIFT+D)
The window that open will have three LED-icons, one for each switch/axis. Press each manually by hand and see if the LED icons turn green.

• If they do then they are wired correctly and operating.
    -> Next check if the Z-switch is actually able to reach the Z-switch

• If they dont turn green there is a wiring issue.
    -> Troubleshoot the wiring

The homing sequence is as follows:

• Hit Z once, back off then hit 2nd time
  • If completed, X/Y will follow in same manner in unison

Thank you for the info. So I checked all my wiring and it appears to be correct. I’ve attached pics of what happens when I manually check the switches and the wiring for the Z switch. But when I go Machine > Set Up Your Machine and it starts checking the Z Axis, the router moves up until it starts to almost grind, like the router wants to go higher. I included a picture of how the router is seated. I was thinking perhaps I didn’t have it low enough, but I installed it per the instructions. Any guidance would be appreciated. I’d really like to get the machine calibrated and start working on projects. Thank you in advance.

Okay all, so after much wailing an gnashing of teeth I figured it out. On my Z Axis, the Z-Axis Stop nut/bolt combo next to the homing switch needed to be higher so as to allow the switch to make contact. Solved! Then on the X axis, I had to move the actuator switch about 4mm to allow contact. Solved! The Y axis homing switch worked just fine. I managed to get through the setup and do two test carves tonight. I’m a happy camper!

1 Like