Z-Prode Attachment and General Questions

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I don't want to assume however, with the knowledge I have for the Z Probe which is little and with common sense the attachment can't do the following: 
  1. Measure the width and length of the piece of material being used correct?
  2. I am wondering if there are video’s that do break it down barney style for the depth of material being used and what type of bit would be preferred to use or has to be used?
  3. Are there video’s or spreadsheets, word documents, etc… that can assist you in getting the different dimensions for different types of carvings you would like to make? A how to video per say?

I am fairly new to this whole CNC Machine and have an X Carve 1000 mm Machine. I have been experimenting and have been researching everything however, with something new I tend to need to see it down to the basics (AKA Barney Style). I would appreciate any and all advice in this matters and possibly any basic patterns to see on how to use a variety of bits, depths, and what seems to work best for everyone in their own way in using their own machines. Thanks in advance and Appreciate any and all information.

Dave

1 - There is no function in Easel that support “measure stock”. This is assumed to be done correctly by the operator.

2 - Go with Easel’s own recommended starting points for carving, what bit and for what material. Rather than we spend time writing about hypothetical situations and you trying to absorb that without context wont be very efficient.
Keep the Dewalt at speed setting 1 and start using the suggested feeds and speeds :slight_smile: Build from that.

Its much “better” to ask about a specific project, with specifics like material, bit and intent - so our replies can be as precise as possible :slight_smile:

3 - Realize one thing :slight_smile: No Xcarve is identical to the other, the assembly quality and maintainance differ between operators. What might work for me may not work for yours.

Welcome to the forum, browse it and search is and you’ll have information overload real quick :wink: Oh, and keep asking :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the Responses I do appreciate them however, and not trying to debate this yet, if reading the questions for example:

1. It was confirming that there isn’t a function for measuring stock, I was simply confirming my assumption however, Thank you on your answer.
  2. Why not write hypothetical situations for your customers in the fact that those can come true and it gives them a basis on what can and can not be done per say? Also, why not give the web site or page to where the recommended starting points for carving if someone is asking a question like this?
    Also, if someone is new to this machine and doesn’t know the specifics how can they ask specific question on specific projects? I understand what you are saying however, if there are links to these questions it can better help someone in general to get to specific materials and bits.
  3. I do understand no Xcarve is the same and every machine is different yet having examples regardless if it may not work for you could possibly work for me.
  4. As for the forums if someone is asking questions and can not find the answer they are looking for why not give them a link to the possible question they are looking for AKA bits, wood, etc…?
  5. I have researched the forums and the different sections however, I have not been able to locate what bit and for what material at all. I have come across websites where to buy the different bits, etc… yet nothing on what your referring to in the above answers.

Thank you for your responses and again not trying to debate anything just trying to get some specific links to be able and understand more in how to navigate and expand my abilities.

Most use the z probe with the top of the material. Theoretically I guess you could use it off the table, get a measurement. Then use it off the top of the material and get a measurement. Mathematically taking the difference would be the thickness of your work. The only drawback would be backlash in the z axis movement that isn’t accounted for and also flex. To use the Z probe, one creates a macro which is then used as a command to find the zero location. I don’t use Easel, but the universal Gcode Sender has a section that stores macros. You have to create it for the thickness of the z probe you buy or make.

This is the macro I use with my xcarve. It uses the inventables z probe. You should learn what each separate code does before you use it. Each code is separated by a semi colon. Practice using it in air so you can emergency stop it before it does any damage.

G20;G91;G38.2 Z -.500 F1; G92 Z (thickness of yourmetal electical conductive probe block goes here); G0 Z .125

https://www.haascnc.com/service/codes-settings.type=gcode.machine=mill.value=G92.html

As far as bits are concerned, I’ve found that it depends on feed rates and the density of the material you are cutting. I routinely use a 1/4" straight bit and up to 1/2" straight. I think you have to play around with the feed rate for your bit and adjust accordingly.

Mr. McClary,

Thank you for the information and I will look over it and watch your video and if any questions I will certainly get back to you on this. Again I appreciate the assistance and Thank you

It’s not “my” video…I just linked one that covers how to do it.