Z & Y axis homing cycle work fine, X axis always stops short

Hi everyone.
I just finished putting my x carve together and now I am going through the configuration of the homing cycle. Z axis works without a hitch but when the X & Y cycle start the X axis only moves a few inches then stops short of the switch. The Y axis works with no problem but I did notice that when the Y axis is completing backing of its respective switch the X axis mimics this action simultaneously even though it never came near to touching its respective switch. At the end Easel gives the thumbs up and allows me to move onto doing my first carve. I let it run through the intro carve (with spindle off) and everything seemed to work fine. All my connections are soldered and tested with no shorts. Doubled checked all v-wheel adjustments ensuring that nothing has been overtightened. Turned up the pots if need for any axises that required a little bump in voltage.
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.


I would like to put my two cents in. It is possible that there could be a binding issue, I realize that you double checked v-wheel adjustments but binding could also appear in the rails of the axis itself. Check to make sure that the axis rails are perfectly squared and that the rails are perfectly parallel. It only takes one of the rails being less than a degree out of square or out of parallel to cause a problem. I hope this helps.

Sounds like a plan. Binding had crossed my mind, I will give that a try tonight once my son goes to sleep. Thanks for the advice, I will let you know if anything comes from your suggestion.

I don’t think it’s binding. Since the X axis goes into its refining 0 cycle that says that the Arduino thinks the switch was tripped. It could be electrical noise that gave you a false trigger on the switch, or it could be something wrong with that switch or its wiring.

Do you want me to walk you through some tests?

Sure, sounds good. I already did continuity checks on the wiring & switches, bought some shielded cable today to see if noise is the issue. I also thought it could be a soft homing issue.

Do you know how to use the Arduino IDE? I’m assuming you downloaded it to get the Arduino drivers.

If so, then bring up the Arduino IDE. You don’t need to load a sketch all we are going to use it for is the serial monitor (Magnifying Glass in the upper right corner).

Make sure that you have selected the Arduino Uno as the “Board” and the correct COM port “Port” under the Tools menu.

Make sure that your COM port is set for a baud rate of 115200.

Click on the serial monitor to start it. You should see grbl announce itself with the version number.

Enter the $$ command to get a list of the parameter settings for grbl.

Post the settings here. If you get all this to work we can go to the next step.

Already had an Arduino that I tinker with and I am using a MacPro so I drivers were not needed. That being said its GRBL that am unfamiliar with. Let me get my ducks in a row and I will post what I find.

My guess would be a wire connection or bad wire. run a spare wire direct to test it.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. Leaning towards noise or code being the culprit. Stay tuned!

Finally got to spend some quality time with my machine, swapped out the unshielded switch wire for shielded and now everything works fine. That being said I would still like a walk through of your trouble shooting steps.

Ok. Usually it’s based on the problem that is occurring, but I can give you some tips.

So, using the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor see if you can talk to grbl and get the $$ output to post here.