1/16" collet for DWP611?

Is anyone aware of a 1/16" collet that will fit the Dewalt 611?

My Dentist gives me his used cutting burrs by the handful, ultimately i have an endless supply from my dentist when I need them. these burrs worked great chucked into my dremels and Foredom handpieces. I would also like to use these on my 611 if at all possible. The amount of savings would be phenomenal. Considering i just lost $20 when an end mill snapped, these little guys are free to me and if i break one, then so what just throw it away and grab another.

1 Like

could you post some pics of those?

Top photo 1/8" carbide downcut bit from Stew Mac is the top bit. Below it is the 1/16" dental burr.

The bottom pic shows the collet selection for my Foredom which is interchangeable on my dremels. Would be nice to have a collection of collets similar to this. I have the Precise bits collet but currently they do not offer this collet. I have contacted them to see if it would be possible to have one made.

As you can see my collection of cutters is large. I just went to the dentist this past week and did not even ask for more. I have given away about half of what I still have as well to other carvers who have started hitting their dentists up for them as well.

Interestingly enough, each dentist might prefer a different cutter or have multiple cutters on hand. So swapping them around with others is handy.

My dentist sterilizes the cutters before he gives them to me. Usually I am a germaphobe but the savings and end results of these bits are well worth it. Can not beat FREE. Lol.

2 Likes

keep in mind that these bits are used cutters but teeth are much more sensitive then wood. I have found that most of these cutters still have around 60-70% of their cutting life remaining after the dentist gives them to me. Still plenty of use for wood.

so are these cutters solid carbide? thats pretty neat share tyhe love lol!!!

I honestly do not know. I did not ask my dentist. I will be seeing him again in the near future, when I am in his office, i will check to see if he has an extra product catalog from his supplier.

If I am able to get a 1/16" Collet, I may have to make more trips to the dentist. DOH!

Next time your in to see the dentist, ask them if they would be willing to give up any of their decommissioned cutters and if they would save them for you. Your pile will runuth over. lol

yeah i might ask when i go i imagine if you cant get a collet made for you you can have a simple sleeve made that will allow you to use your .125" collet

I have not found any other collets for the 611 I have looked for hours on the net .125 and .25 is all your going to find

Will one of the Dremel adapters work? I’m thinking they use both 1/8" and 1/16". Maybe a 1/16" adapter in a 1/8" collet?

Precise Bits
1/8, 3/16, 1/4 inch collets
3mm collet

Elaire Corp
1/8, 5/32, 3/16,b1/4, 5/16"
4, 6, 8mm

Bill, i do not have anything that fits my dremel or my Foredom that will match up to my Precise bits collet set, which includes the 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" collets.

the only Collar per say that i have that is not associated with dremel or Foredom is a 1/4"-1/8" adapter. nothing that i have allows the 611 to use a 1/16" shaft cutter

I have a 1/16" collet for the foredom, several for the dremel and an adjustable drill chuck for the dremel, but none of these will work with my current selection of collets for the 611

Ask Elaire Corp. to make up a run of custom collets in this size?

That’s why the collets are available from them for the Makita now, a Shapeoko forum member JPeterG arranged for an initial run: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

Thanks will, I will do that. I already sent a request to precise bits, but I should also have an Elaire collet arriving tomorrow. So I will also send them a request.

Thanks again

if you get them to do a custom run i will go in on it

I would suggest a .5" collet for the 611 if you get that i will defiantly be in!!!

Update

Received confirmation from Precise Bits, they will not be able to supply a 1/16" collet.

As of now I have seen some sleeve adapters. If Elaire will not be able to provide a 1/16" collet, the sleeve is what I will try.

Check out Foredom web site they have a 1/8 to 1/16 collet adapter part # HPL4-3234 $16.30 THIS WILL CONVER A 1/8 COLLET TO 1/16 TH

Theron

@TheronCarman

is this the adapter that you speak of?

http://www.foredom.net/hpl43234.aspx

it looks as if the collet adapter from 1/8 to1/16" will be the route that i have to take to be able to use 1/16" shaft cutters.

Precision Bits, stated that they could not supply a 1/16’ collet.

Elaire, won’t even reply to my emails, even when I placed an order for ALL of the current Dewalt Collets.

So, this leaves the collet adapter. I guess beggars can’t be choosey

@MichaelGrigg

my question is though what collet will that collet adapter work with? because the dewalt router only gets supplied with a 1/4" collet and i also bought the precision bits 1/8" collet so will it work with the precision bits collet? or another 1/8" collet?

This “Collet Adapter” should fit into any 1/8" collet to reduce it to 1/16".

It should not matter if you have a stock 1/8" collet (which they don’t make for dwp611), an Elaire 1/8" collet or the 1/8" precise bits collet. This adapter should be universal for most 1/8" collets.

So Yes this should fit the 1/8" precise bits collar and most likely most other 1/8" collets on the market.