1/4" Bit doesn't make 1/4" hole

I’m a newbie to CNC. I just ordered my X-Carve. While I’m waiting for it to arrive, I’ve been playing around with using Inkscape to create svg files for Easel.

My first project is a simple knob. The problem I’m having is with creating the center hole. I drew a 1/4" circle inside of a round disk. I then import the svg file into Easel. I then set the bit size to 0.25 in. (same as imported svg). I tried fill, on path, and inside paths. All versions result in a red (no cut) output display. What am I doing wrong? I just want to bore a 1/4" hole with a 1/4" bit. I even changed the bit size. Using .23-.25 for a bit size result in a red hole, but .21 and under is OK.

tnx

Is the red hole on the drawing side (left) or the preview side? If it’s on the left it sounds like tabs are turned on.

Easel doesn’t do drilling operations in the current version, so if you use a 1/4" bit for a 1/4" hole, you aren’t going to get the results you are looking for. I’d try an 1/8" bit.

It sounds like your hole is full of tabs.

That was exactly the problem. I turned off tabs for the center hole. My sanity has returned. :grinning: