12 Blade Mechanical Iris

Been wanting to make one of these for a while. So l finally sat down and learned how they worked and designed one. Designed it in Adobe Illustrator, and cut out with Easel. Very happy with the results, had a few trial and errors but the end result is smooth and functions perfectly. Fully open it measures 9.5" and closes down to a pencil sized opening. I used Baltic birch plywood, aluminum flashing for the shutter blades, and 3/8" nylon rod for the spacers and the shutter blade pins.

16 Likes

Thats Awesome. Ive had one sitting in my easel library for awhile haven’t had a chance to carve it. Now I might have to.

great job! could you share your project files with us?

Very not bad!

4 Likes

thanks! Is there a way you can make it public? It won’t actually let me open it.

Not sure what’s going on here. The box is checked “public” in the project settings.

i really appreciate sharing, I homeschool my kids and this will be a fun project for my daughter who took photography this year! i read somewhere you actually have to hit save after you share the project.

Wow looks pretty cool

Try this: Easel - 12 Blade Mechanical Iris

1 Like

That worked! Thanks!!!

Hi, really nice project! I’m new to CNC’ing, but want to try this project. I’ve seen on something like this, and want to design an iris like the one in this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJqfgjTj2IY

Anyone have some drawings/schetses or links to good sites to learn more about this ?

/Bjørn

Great piece! I would like to get in touch about your Mechanical Iris. I am a photographer from Amsterdam and about to do an exhibition in which I could uses your device. Hope to hear from you. Kaj

great work @NickHomrich - very impressive,

do you have any pictures of the shutters out of curiousity?