1st try at aluminum

I wet sanded the surface before I started engraving. It could also be the lighting, different angles causes it to change.

It may also be from telling Easel that my bit was 0.001 in and it adjusting the step-over

2 Likes

Upon further inspection, it looks like it is the stepover that is causing it. Easel probably doesn’t have enough precision or the X-carve for that matter to eliminate the stepover of an 0.001 bit. The bottom surface actually looks like this ^^^^^, although very very tiny, so it is causing it to refract the light differently. You can kind of see the rough bottom in the first picture.

It would probably be really cool to see under a microscope, but that might just be my inner nerd.

1 Like

I’m glad I found this post. I think it’s exactly what I need to fix my problem I just posted in the troubleshooting section!

Men’s fragrance :smile:

Hi,
Which destiny viper bit do you use?

Two flute. Three flute requires faster feed speed. Two flute at 40-50 ipm and .005 - .008" DOC works for me.

I used about the same settings on a three flute 1/8in bit. What do you recommend that I use?
Thanks in advance.

60-75 ipm (50% faster because you have 50% more flutes)

Hoping for some help… we run a trophy shop and I have the 1000 X-Carve at home. We wanted to start custom shaping aluminum sheets. These sheets are about .02-.03 in thickness. My first attempt used Easle’s default settings and left a lot of burrs attached to the edges and seemed melted to it.

What would be some suggested settings for cutting such thin material cleanly… using a 1/8" bit.

I used a 1/8" ball-end 2 flute bit to cut the Y axis braces out of .125" stock. 611 speed ‘5’, 0.1 mm DOC, 800 mm/min speed. Hauled ■■■ while going super-shallow. Worked just fine without lubrication.

1 Like

That thin, it might be wise to plunge to full depth and do a full depth cut. Moving quickly, like 50 inches per minute. Experiment with down spiral, up spiral, 1 flute and 3 flute to see what gives you the best edge. Full depth (cutting all the way through into a sacrificial waste board and moving quickly should solve your problems - then it is a matter of which bit becomes your favorite for the job.

1 Like

First cut with aluminum:
.125 6160 aluminum using 3 flute .125 upcut carbide bit with 40% step over, .003 doc, 50 ipm, Dewalt speed #2, cut to .020 depth. No problems, could have probably up my speed to 60ipm or more. I’ll play with setting on next one and also try 2 flute bit.
Total cut time = 17min.
I sanded with 320 grit to remove scratches and used scotch brite type pad to give it a brushed look. Clear coated with lacquer to ward off finger prints. Turned out good for first time!

7 Likes

Who is JP?

Me…lol

1 Like

kidding. That last photo looks awesome. I prefer the brushed look.

1 Like

Nice! And good logo design too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Made simple stand for my new aluminum sign.

7 Likes

this is my first and last go with alum on my xcarve (I’m able to use a cnc mill when I want) but my feed was at 20ipm 5 for speed and .02 depth of cut and .06 stepover

2 Likes

look like you wana be the very best… =D

Lol sister really likes them.