3d (depth map) grayscale images

no tricks phil… just the jar…

java -jar heightmap2stl.jar celtic-design-grayscale.png 1 0

1 Like

getting my suckit installed… finally… before the finishing pass. also going to have to do some spray adhesive on a board, the last quarter inch of foam is buckling up in the middle.

glad it makes you happy phil. My first attempt at this months ago failed part way through the carve. I also didn’t have a 1/4" bit like I do now to aug through the materials. What a difference a few months makes.

1 Like

good hint for next time. I don’t want to hit the brad nail during carving… going to do spray adhesiive on some 1/4" ply.

Careful…(depending on type) spray adhesive melts the foam. Test it on a scrap first.

1 Like

any recommendations?

Unfortunately not. I’ve not found one that won’t react with the foam. The only things I’ve found that work is sealing the foam first. I can’t recall the name but it’s like white glue. I have (and still do) use the two sided tape that was recommended here. It holds great and releases without residue or pulling the piece apart. This is my preferred way. I’m at work so I can’t be specific right now (brand names) but I can update when I get home this evening.

old wood working trick its to lightly glue a piece of paper down then you can white glue or wood glue to the paper. when your done slowly work the piece up the paper will rip off the harder surface and stick to the foam.

No it’s not executable in the sense that it would launch a GUI. You have to use it from the command line. If you want a GUI, I can make one if you pay-pal me a beer.

2 Likes

An alternative program image → stl program that I’ve had good results with is

I’d just be happy if I was your best friend Phil…:blush:

1 Like

Maybe just our own thread…

3 Likes

One option, i’ve only experimented with was Fusion 360 and the plugin “image2surface”

My experimentation stopped at the first successful import, so I didn’t really develop the skill of how to use it.

But it’s free.

download the zip. extract. run. windows-only (.net framework required)
heightmap2stl-gui

enjoy.

5 Likes

• pick a filename
    Remember this needs to be a BMP that has greyscale values. (limitation of heightmap2stl program)

• adjust the values of base and model height

• base height can be left at 0 (unless you want some space under the model)

• model height based on how intense I want the gradients to be

• click run

READ THE LOG if you want to know where it creates the STL file.

Use your shiny new STL however you please.

(Yes, I’m aware MS 3D Builder considers the STL to be ‘invalidly defined’) I have not had issues with these files in practice when consuming them in other STL viewers/editors or importing into Vectric VCarve Pro.

5 Likes

you’re awesome. Can’t wait for you to try it. Feedback is welcome.

2 Likes

careful @PhilJohnson, don’t use all your likes on one thread… The day is young.

2 Likes

Glad you like it Phil… please make suggestions if you find the need.

1 Like

Based on experience, It’s a relative number to the base height that affects how tall the white becomes.

Not sure if there’s a native unit like inch or mm…

I’m working on porting the code from java, and will have an authoritative answer for you on what it really is.

1 Like

Exactly the stuff I been looking for.