3d (depth map) grayscale images

34 minutes is unacceptable.
I can process the same file you sent me in under 20 seconds now.

Release 1.2 - Maui Faster You’re welcome…

@ErikJenkins, @Jason, @MitchMenard I would encourage you to update and let me know.

3 Likes

I do not see the GUI zip to download as there was for v 1.1, only the 2 source code zips. Its late and I am tired so it is quite possible I am missing something, but I do not see the actual gui zip as before listed in the downloads section. Headed to bed but will look again tomorrow when my mental facilities are more on point.

@MitchMenard, @PhilJohnson the file is there showing up in the release now. Not sure what the issue was. Release version 1.2 - Maui Faster · jeremysimmons/heightmap2stl-gui · GitHub

2 Likes

Made a believer out of you, didn’t I?

1 Like

well… now it won’t be painful to do so… right?

1 Like

I was thinking about having the program be able to batch a set of images.
Maybe be able to select multiple files or a directory at a time, instead of a single file. What do you think?

2 Likes

I’ve been messing around with this and some logos like Mitch was. A 2500x2500 pixel image was taking about 30 mins to save last night. I’ll try again tonight with your new version.

Thanks for this!

1 Like

Wish I had a camera to see your face the first time you see it export in under 30 seconds.

2 Likes

For those interested in creating high quality bump and normal maps, you can model in 3d studio and export a high quality bump or normal map. Using images works at generating height parity, but not actual representation. It would be really awesome if someone had integrated normal maps into carving. Not sure if there is any programs capable of that.

I really like this program. It even works with x-rays :grinning:

5 Likes

Yep its there now, and yeah what a difference, I was getting that out of memory error before but not any more, and what a difference on the speed! good stuff.

1 Like

That’s great to hear, there is much more data contained in normal maps. You could do a ton of stuff with just that capability. It’s a shame Aspire costs $2,000.

@JeremySimmons WOW - I’m so happy I found this post today. I couldn’t wait to get home to see if I could get it to work. Worked like a charm first time. I’ll post a specific project I’ve been battling. This will save me months of my life working in AI to refine the picture.

All I can say is thank you - you’re amazing.

1 Like

740MB STL file…about 9 seconds. Wow.

That’s some impressive optimization. 99.5% reduction in processing time for my case.

I wonder if more “native” code (i.e. non-java) would actually make it faster. But that’s just splitting hairs.

2 Likes

Nope. Happy to debug… assuming the source image is in the zip you did earlier?

2 Likes

Sorry about your undies bro…

1 Like

Skeletor’s Father’s Day present?

Today you, tomorrow me. That’s what this community is about.

Forms of payment accepted:
Share a pic of something you make and inspire others
Invite a child (or child at heart) to see the xcarve work and show them a new future of one off manufacturing

3 Likes

Super program. Just for fun I ran it through my 3D printer slicing program. Came out really nice. Thank you for taking the time. Really solid stl file and easy to work with.

Did you use Photoshop or another comparable program to reverse and apply the 3 pixel blur?