3D Yoda - My first (failed) 3D project

So this weekend I decided to try my first 3D carve using V-Carve. I started with a .STL I found on the web and “squished” is down to fit the carve and carved this:

In general, I’m very happy with the quality of the carve (this is with basically no sanding), but I made the model so “thin” that I lost all of the detail in the face.

As I usually learn more from failures and successes, I thought it would be worthwhile to show it off.

4 Likes

There’s definitely nothing wrong learning from mistakes and failures. Now take what you learned and turn out another better one! Keep it up man!

Me too :wink:

Looking at your Yoda it doesn’t look like loss of detail due to shortening of the Z axis.
It looks like you were air cutting for the first few layers. (Z zero set too high.)
(Or possibly the model got cut somehow?)

I did a quick test in VCarve and in theory it should be carveable:

Here is it with a “sliced” model

These look fun! I will have to give them a try :wink:

1 Like

My attempt at 3D Yoda

Unfortunately it was so thin in places that the old scrap wood I used split so Yoda lost the tip of his ears and a shoulder.
But other than that it turned out well

In making it I think I know what when wrong with yours. When I first imported the file I set the model height to be the thickness of the material.
But after that I re-sized it larger, forgetting that made Yoda thicker as well. Making his face above the surface of the material after re-sizing. So I had to go back and adjust his trickiness.

4 Likes

Looks great!

woha ! although missed, it is beautiful!!!