3d Z axis zero

I am sure I am missing something,but how do assure the zero point of the z axis after changing bits?

What i do is zero it somewhere to start with that will not be cut. Then when you change bits you can go back to that spot and re zero there.

2 Likes

This is what i do as well, ill touch it off the project somewhere and make a small spot with the end mill to give me a reference after the tool change

2 Likes

With a 3D flag for example the rough cut may remove the original start point

If you have no where to zero then you can zero off the waste board and do it that way.

2 Likes

You’ve got to plan ahead for this. Either use oversized board, Keep a block on hand of scrap and use that for BOTH bits (don’t use the workpiece for one bit then the block for the 2nd, USE the block for BOTH).

3 Likes

Wayne’s suggestion works with software such as Vectric. Does Easel offer zeroing on the waste board?

1 Like

I don’t think so but you can cheat and get it done if needed.

1 Like

Its quite painful to do within easel, but not impossible. Easier to save the gcode, use a different sender and manipulate it to probe off wasteboaed, then lift the exact distance you told easel the material thickness is, the select “set z zero” manually OpenBuilds and UGS do this a lot simpler than easel does since easel requires even more steps to get it done to gey the same result…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.