3GT2 belting keeps breaking

Breaks as in straight-up snaps the belt? Or are you talking more like it mashes the teeth flat?

I had spot like that and I noticed that Y plate motor shaft was not at 90 degrees to extrusion, one of my Y supports was bend by like 1 degree and it was enough. Worth checking…

1 Like

What’s the working strength? You can get 3gt3 it’s 24lbs. If your pullys a 6mm wide, 1536-3mgt-06

Sounds like too much acceleration on you belt.

1 Like

Time to go with 9mm belting.

3 Likes

I went with 9mm GT2 belting…haven’t had an issue yet. I think I am pushing mine a bit faster also.

1 Like

269ozin = 16.8lbsin

1 Like

Ok bob
its force not weight now.

1 Like

I had to swap out pulleys, Idlers, belts and belt clips/tensioners.

1 Like
1 Like

My Z-Axis was upgraded a while ago and I was running a 10mm belt…I just recently milled all the parts to go to a direct connection so I no longer have a belt on the Z-Axis.

1 Like

@PhilJohnson You’d need three of those as each one is 1536mm long.

You may just need the GT3 belt to make it work.

1 Like

Supposedly yes. It’s a 3mm pitch belt just next gen construction. It’s also 6mm wide like the standard Xcarve belts which gives you 20% more belt engagement . I’m assuming your pulleys are 6mm pulleys.

What I found online about GT2 vs GT3:

“Poly Chain GT and Poly Chain GT2 belts had aramid tensile cords. The current third generation of Poly Chain belts use carbon tensile cords, hence the product line name “Poly Chain GT Carbon”.”

9mm wide, 3mm pitch, GT3 belting:

2 Likes

In what I’ve seen online, the only open ended belting is still GT2. They just don’t sell GT3 except for loops that will require a cut.

I’m not sure when GT3 was released but maybe it’s just a matter of time?

EDIT: this link has the pulleys with 6.35mm bore (1/4")

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3GT-Timing-Pulley-20-Teeth-Bore-6-35-8mm-for-Width-9mm-Rubber-GT3-Belt-20tooth-/322225441638?var=&hash=item4b06220b66:m:mzgWjmA54DYuMLnlbjUd7tw

This one has 8mm bore…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3GT-Timing-Pulley-20-Teeth-Bore-8mm-Pitch-3mm-GT3-Open-Belt-Rubber-Wide-9mm-CNC-/321932116824

2 Likes

I edited my post and added the 6.35mm bore…

2 Likes

You may need three of those. One per axis. I believe they’re sold as loops and not open ended.

1 Like

I reused the bearings from the original smooth idlers.

1 Like

Those are either 3mm or 5mm bore. Your steppers are 1/4" (6.35mm) bore. They may not fit.

Yea…I’m an idiot and can’t read/think. Proceed.

1 Like

Newton figured out that F = m*a which translates into the Force is the Mass multiplied by the Acceleration. My advice is to reduce the acceleration and keep the cutting depth and speeds.

1 Like