3rd Time's The Charm!

This is my third generation dust shoe.

11 Likes

Gary,
This looks sweet! How does it attach? It looks like there are magnets in the sides, and although I can tell you have acrylic on the bottom of the Z axis, can’t tell how the rest of it works.
–Rick

It magnetically attaches to arms that are inserted in the T-Track.

Nice

Brush comes from McMaster-Carr. Luckily there’s a warehouse 20 mins from me. I can place an order & pick up items w/in an hour or so!!! :grinning:

Damn. Totally jelly!

Not only shoe, everything I see is the perfection. Great job Gary.

something new coming!

Any tips for cutting acrylic? I’m getting melting (and a mess) with my Dewalt 611 even at the lowest setting. Thanks!

Single Flute Up-cut bit - Slowest RPM - shallower depth of cut - Fast enough feed-rate to leave area quicker before start heating up…

At 16k rpm plastics are difficult media to master but most acrylic are extruded and have a lower melting point than cast actrylic. You need to go faster/shallower and/or add some sort of means to keep things cool.
Cast acrylic is more expensive also which makes most generic types of acrylics of the extruded kind.

I was successful cutting at 17k rpm, DOC=.02, FR @110 ipm. w/good vacuum. Dual flute upcut. I was a lil scared @ 1st, but it worked, no melting!!!

Do you want to Share it to other X-Carve Users?

Yes, please share the design if you’re willing? Thanks, looks awesome, Gary

this is my own design for dust show.
DUST SHOE.pdf (56.9 KB)
DUST SHOE.ai (54.8 KB)

1 Like

The design is fairly simple to make, especially if u have any simple illustrator skills. Hell,I did it!!! I was always told that if you can read a tape measure then you can build anything. Great job BF!!!

Rockler